Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:59 AM   #1

I know Sunpak use to sell a slave for the 622 but this seems to have been discontinued. What do I need to purchase to get an aftermarket slave to work with my 622 flash.

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5000 camera and a SB-50DX flash on the camera. I'd like to have the ability to use two of my 622's at the same time if possible.

TIA
The Grand Pooh-Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:22 PM   #2

Hey, Pooh-Bah, check out this link:

http://www.warehousephoto.com/amazing/searchresult.asp?CartId={DEEVERESTD90128-FC9D-401B-9A0E-651BBCEAFA62}

Here are a number of products that could solve your problem.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:31 PM   #3

The link wont work for me. Can you just tell me what it is?
The Grand Pooh-Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:15 PM   #4

Didn't work for me, either. The site blocks direct access for some reason.

The page I was sending you to describes a variety of slave-triggering devices made by Wein. Probably the simplest devices attach to your flash of choice and employ photosensors to detect the flash of your on-camera flash and fire the slave at the same time. There are "regular" models and "digital" models. A lot of digital cameras use one or several "preflashes" (different from the red-eye reduction preflash) to set things like exposure before the main flash fires. The digital type of optical slave sensor is able to ignore the preflash and fire only with the main flash burst. If it didn't, the slaves would fire a bit too soon and you not have good results.
Check out whether your camera uses these preflashes. If it does, you need one of those trigger units that can cope with this.

For more money you can get other slave triggering systems that use infrared light or radio trasmitters to do the job.

If you just Google "Wein," you should find their website with no problem. There are other manufacturers of this stuff besides Wein, but their products are fairly representative.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote