Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:13 AM   #1

Is there anyone that can recommend a suitable wedding flashgunforthe Fuji S3 Pro? The camera is Nikon compatible and uses D-TTL. From the Nikon range I have been looking at the SB-600 and 800. However, is it worth considering third party equipment like the Sigma EF 500 DG super and DG ST or the Metz 54 - MZ-4 and AF1? As you know, when shooting weddings you have to have two of anything so cost is an issue.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Mad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:04 AM   #2

Hi Mad Dog.

I would go for the SB-800, I'm sure your manual for the Fuji camera will tell you just what features are available using the Nikon Speedlights.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:38 AM   #3

Hi Ronnie948,

Thanks for your input. Why do you rate this flash over the others? According to the manual, theSB-600 appears to have good functionality although the SB-800 allows you to control the flash via the aperture and repeat flashingwith the DX lenses. In your opinion, isthe SB-800worth the extra money ?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:59 PM   #4

Hi Mad Dog,

The 800 has more power then the 600. I have both and I personally like the 800 better because of the extra power and I use the built in bounce card a lot. I use the 600 as an off camera slave when needed. They are both very good but If I could only have one. I would prefer the 800.

Ronnie,

Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:30 AM   #5

Gotcha, so morepower is the way to go. However, looking at the price issue the SB-800 comes in at £224 and the Sigma EF 500 Super is £127. If you were to buy now would you consider this flash:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/fl...ls.asp?id=3257

Thanks for you time and expertise. Mad Dog
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:15 AM   #6

Hi Mad Dog,

I probably would still go with the SB-800 Nikon unit. I think you get what you pay for and every time I ever try to skimp on a product it never works out as intended. The Nikon equipment is always first rate and works perfect for Me so I can depend on it to function when I need it the most. (Weddings). I have tried using Sigma len's but forthe resultsI like The Nikon len's seem to suit me better.

Look on E-Bay for the SB-800. That is where I bought mine for $285.00 USD shipped. (used)

Cameta has them with a $25.00 factory rebate on E-Bay right now.

I also use the Nikon SC-29 off camera TTL flash cord that allows me to put the SB-800 on a Press-T bracket to get the flash 10 inches above the lens. I'm not sure if you can use that set-up with the Sigma flash.

I also have the SB-600 I purchased on E-Bay for $189.00 USD shipped. (used) I do use it on camera if doing portraits or off camera as a slave when needed.

This picture of a family was done using my SB-600 because I only had 5 minutes to set up the pose and do the photograph. It was a very last minute idea that Grand mom had to call Me right before the plane was to take off whisking the grandchildren away. The Sb-600 was already set for on camera TTL. The Sb-800 was set up as a Master for another job I was diong and I just decided to use the 600 to save time. (the shuttle to the AIRPORT was there) The photograph turned out perfect and it was all due to the speed and TTL features of using the correct set-up.

This was a case where I did not need the extra power of the SB-800.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:16 PM   #7

Ronnie,

It appears that the SB- 800 is the best bet then.

Thanks for your posts and patience. Take care.

Mad Dog