Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 14, 2003, 12:42 PM   #1

Default Slave flash for pre-flashing camera

I am using a Toshiba PDR M71 digital camera. I would like to use a slave flash with this camera, but the camera preflashes and the pictures come out too underexposed. What flash unit would you suggest that I used with my camera?

I have several Metz flashes (both TTL and non-TTL). Is there a sensor available on the market that I could use in conjuction with my camera?
Tomas321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2003, 3:26 PM   #2

You need a digital compatible slave that ignores the preflash. I had a Digi-Slave SA-10 but the Wein Peanut slave is less than half as expensive and doesn't require a battery.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 2:25 PM   #3

I don't know much about the Toshiba digicam, but I know in order for the slave flash to work properly with your camera, it must be interface with the camera. Canon and Nikon market their wireless device to control multi-flash metering for both master and slave flash units for TTL and automatic modes, I’m not sure if there is one for the Toshiba camera. In your situation, you can use them in manual mode, but then the flash meter is required to determine the correct exposure.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 5:39 PM   #4

Default Re: Slave flash for pre-flashing camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas321
I am using a Toshiba PDR M71 digital camera. I would like to use a slave flash with this camera, but the camera preflashes and the pictures come out too underexposed. What flash unit would you suggest that I used with my camera?
That means your the slave flash you are using DOES NOT recognize the preflash from your camera, and, as a result, fires prematurely. To overcome this problem, you can either buy a slave flash that can recognize the preflash. The Digi-Slave line of products @ http://www.srelectronics.com/ has been on the market for a long time and are quite reliable. However, the price tags are quite high. A cheaper way is to use Wein's Peanut for digital camera http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/...ID=F565DF3A400 It is cheap and usually reliable. Keep in mind: DON"t GET THE PEANUT. You need the PEANUT FOR DIGITAL CAMERAS. Some slave flashes may work with pre-flashes properly. You can easily do some tests before you buy. Please take a look at the "Slave Firing Tests" of my 4500 user guide for more testing details.

Quote:
I have several Metz flashes (both TTL and non-TTL). Is there a sensor available on the market that I could use in conjuction with my camera?
Yes, the Wein Peanut for digital cameras is the one you might want to use. However, you will not have any TTL capability. Whether a slave has TTL capability depends on (1) if the slave unit can recognize the TTL signals (i.e., has a wireless TTL signal receiver), and (2) if the camera is capable of sending the required TTL signals wirelessly (i.e., has the feature of sending TTL signals wirelessly). If one of these two (or both) is not available, the slave unit will fire in full power (or fire nothing depending the unit/brand you are using). A cheap wireless trigger unit unlikely has this feature.

Hope the above answers your questions fully.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 6:40 PM   #5

Default Re: Slave flash for pre-flashing camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by shene
Quote:
Yes, the Wein Peanut for digital cameras is the one you might want to use. However, you will not have any TTL capability. Whether a slave has TTL capability depends on (1) if the slave unit can recognize the TTL signals (i.e., has a wireless TTL signal receiver), and (2) if the camera is capable of sending the required TTL signals wirelessly (i.e., has the feature of sending TTL signals wirelessly). If one of these two (or both) is not available, the slave unit will fire in full power (or fire nothing depending the unit/brand you are using). A cheap wireless trigger unit unlikely has this feature.

Hope the above answers your questions fully.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide

If your Metz have auto-mode (auto-aperture) , that would be the simplest (and cheapest) way to make use of it. The wein provide the proper triggering signal, set both your Metz and your camera to the desired aperture.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 1:11 AM   #6

Default This works for me

I use a Wein Smart Slave Trigger (see it at http://www.therollbar.com/triggers.htm) on a tiny Rollbar KISS bracket. This is the digital camera version of Wein's slave trigger that ignores the preflash and fires on the main flash in perfect sync with the camera's shutter. The good thing about this setup is it will work equally well with many different flashes. HTH. PatiO.
Bob Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:52 AM   #7

Tomas, you said, "I have several Metz flashes (both TTL and non-TTL). Is there a sensor available on the market that I could use in conjuction with my camera?"

Check out the Metz SCA 3083 slave module. It is switchable for pre-flash suppression (or not). I put one on my Metz 32Z-2, mounted the strobe on my Epson 3100z, and I couldn't be happier. My only complaint is that it took so long for Metz to get this little gem into the markeplace.

About $60+s/h at B&H Photo Video. I paid $54 a few months ago. So goes the euro. [http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/FrameWork.class, then search on SCA 3083.]
Damien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 12:20 AM   #8

Damien,
this is great, I did not know Metz have this salve adapter. have to get the market isn't it?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:24 AM   #9

KCan,

Glad I was able to contribute to the knowledge base here!

The only way it could have been better is if they had used the fourth switch position (currently undefined) to decouple the optical senser and allow the strobe to be fired directly from the camera shoe. Then I would not have to swap out modules, including a small sleeve as the modules are different lengths, for those times I want to use just the big flash.

When would that be? Well, when I get that Raynox DCR 6600Pro Wide Angle adapter I ordered last week, I definitely don't want the on-board flash to fire. That would create some pretty ugly shadows!

Take care,
Damien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 6:55 AM   #10

Quote:
but I know in order for the slave flash to work properly with your camera, it must be interface with the camera.
Just a small correction here. I studied some circuits with the intention of building my own. This particular remote circuit used a counter after the photo-detector, so you could dial in the number of pre-flashes before the unit fired. Another idea I came up with was a wireless trigger sender near the internal flash. The energy pulse from a flash discharge is so huge it can be picked up with an inductive telephone monitor.

I can see this working where pre-flash is pre-set 1,2,3 etc. but not when the flash emits continuous bursts at low power.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote