Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old May 18, 2003, 10:58 PM   #1
SSD

Default Advice for flash on Fuji S602. I am so confused!!!!

I have been reading the forums re: flash on the s602. I have a Canon 550ex flash that I plan to use on the 602. Is it safe regarding volts. Please excuse my igonrance as I am very new to photography and do not really have a clue about flash photography(trying to learn.) Some of the forums have been very confusing since I do not understand a lot of the technical stuff. :?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2003, 12:52 AM   #2

Hi SSD,
I do not know this cam well, neither the 550EX. But from what I know (from the review), I deduce this (with all reserve):

- The 550 EX is indeed an excellent (and expensive) flash , but needs to be attached to a Canon camera to allow the use of full features (ttl, auto zoom, etc Ö) .

- Donít worry about the trigger voltage, this flash is a ďmodernĒ flash and sure have low voltage triggering circuit. But you can check it yourself with a voltmeter ( those digital multimeter) . The danger with high triggering voltage is present only with old flash or cheap flash .

- In the case of the use of this flash with the S602, unfortunately , you wonít be able to benefit all those wonderful features:
a) You can only use this flash in manual , full power only ; ie you have to calculate yourself the setting on your camera.
b) You can use the zoom head , it can be operate in manual mode; but take this into account in your aperture calculation since the GN number varies with the zoom head setting (must be indicated in your flash manual)

Itís not very practical to use a flash in manual full power . You may also consider a flash with auto-mode . Itís a very popular ďmodeĒ : you set the flash and the camera to the same aperture, and the sensor (on the flash) manage to give the correct amount (or I must say the correct duration) of the flash.

FYI, another thread about S602:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3630
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 12:27 PM   #3
SSD

Thanks or the info!!!!!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 7:26 AM   #4

Hi,

Been reading all these posts about flashes with the S602...and the title of this thread is exactly how i feel....totally confused!

Can someone pls tell me which flash to buy? I need something pretty automatic if that is possible.

So, just pls let me know what I need. And I read about the voltage and all that, so I want something that won't be bothered by that.

I see a lot of flashes for Fuji Digitals on Ebay...are any of those any good?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...t&BasicSearch=[/url]
JBsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 12:12 AM   #5

Hi JBsMom

Quote:
Hi,

Been reading all these posts about flashes with the S602...and the title of this thread is exactly how i feel....totally confused!

Can someone pls tell me which flash to buy? I need something pretty automatic if that is possible.

So, just pls let me know what I need. And I read about the voltage and all that, so I want something that won't be bothered by that.

I see a lot of flashes for Fuji Digitals on Ebay...are any of those any good?
I will try to put it at the simplest :
- Avoid cheap flash at 20$ and below, because I suspect they use a simple high voltage triggering circuit , which could harm your camera ( unless someone can check it for you to make sure itĒs safe)
You can check the trigger voltage of some popular flash here : a voltage around 10 volts and below should be ok for the cam:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

- Since there is no possibility to use an external fully automatic flash with this cam, the best you can get is a flash with an ďauto-thyristorĒ mode , ie a flash with a setting dial , you can set the flash output power corresponding to an shooting aperture , then use your cam on full manual , or aperture priority mode , set at the same aperture value of the flash.
- You can also get a flash with several manual settings ( ie : full, Ĺ power, ľ power, 1/16 power Ö) but you gonna have to calculate the exposure parameters (itís a pain)

Many flashes offer several manual settings and auto mode ( auto-thyristor as mentioned above ) I gess this is the best choice of an external flash for this cam.

Example:
http://abccamera.hypermart.net/flash2.htm

I am confused about the same model (vivitar 283) on your link, sell for 20$ , which is a 100$ value flash :
http://abccamera.hypermart.net/flash.htm

My opinion, an 285 is an ideal flash for you, for around 100$:
Guide Number:120 (ISO 100/ft)
4 auto f/stop settings
Auto thyristor circuitry
Vertical bounce flash
Variable power control: 1/16,1/4,1/2
Remote sensor capability
Sufficient light indicator
Illuminated calculator dial
Power source: 4 AA batteries, NC-3 NiCad Battery or SB-4 110v AC adapter
Weight without batteries:14.9oz

I hope that it helps a bit
Old Jun 14, 2003, 9:57 PM   #6

KCan,

Thank you so much for your help. I have put the 285 in my 'wanted' list!
Old Jun 17, 2003, 6:22 PM   #7

Hi --

I accidently bid and won the Vivitar 283, I read the post about volts. This will be fine if it is a newer model? Or should I just throw it in the closet and buy something else.

I read somewhere about a Nikon flash that would also work.

Thanks again for all the help to this newbie.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 7:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsMom
Hi --
I accidently bid and won the Vivitar 283, I read the post about volts. This will be fine if it is a newer model? Or should I just throw it in the closet and buy something else.
This is great , but IMO, have someone check the trigger voltage for you absolutely if you intend to test it. Itís simple enough, any one with a little electronic knowledge can do it, show him/her the instructions:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/G1strobe.html
(the flash must not fire during the meter reading)
Itís worth to check it, the 283 and the 285 have same GN number and 4 F stop settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsMom
I read somewhere about a Nikon flash that would also work.
I donít know, but any flash will work as long as:
- the trigger voltage is safe
- the polarity is correct
Of course, only manual mode, and auto-thyristor mode if the flash has this feature.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 1:45 AM   #9

See my reply in:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...asc&highlight=
TexasTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 4:52 PM   #10

Can someone tell me exactly how to check the trigger voltage. I looked on that website but the details are really not specific. And I am clueless about this stuff. The hotshoe only has one connector.

I have a Digital Multimeter and have no idea how to set it.

Thanks to anyone that can help me with this.

PS if I add an external flash, does this mean I can not leave the camera on auto?