Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:58 AM   #1

Been reading some info's ove these two flashes and wandering will the cheapper one (550EX) be enough to use it for regular purpose such as Weddings.... and for a small studio purpose as replacement for dtudio strobes.

The price differance is not small. Do not know how big is the differance in performance.

Does anybody use both of them. Is it only differance in power.

Is it 580EX an Uppgrade of 550 EX......

Is it worth to think about Metz 54 MZ for Canon 350D at all or to stick with the Canon speedlite....

Thanks
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:19 AM   #2
NHL

There's a less expensive option: Sigma EF-500 DG Super

FYI - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=45301&forum_id=53

The 580EX can sense a 'digital' lens and will adjust its zoom more efficiently for a 1.6x dSLR - The 550EX and the Sigma just go by the focal lenght data from the zoom lens alone.

The Metz has two heads which is quite nice to control the shadow, alas it's wireless mode is not compatible with the Canon. This flash however has less tendency to overexpose/underexpose because it also factors in the sensor in front of the flash unlike the Canon's E-TTL/II system alone...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:07 PM   #3

Thanks NHL for your reply.

I really need a good answer because I would like to have good choice of flash as per the various needs.

Therefore I would appreciate your input over following.

I need flash to be power enough (not necessary as 580EX which is a little expensive)

I would like to use flash off camera. If so how can I trigger the flash? Is there a wire connection since you said for Metz no wireless connection? For either 550EXor 580EX there will be no problems I think.

Can I use these flashes as Strobe-Flash for studio purpose?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:43 PM   #4
NHL

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
I need flash to be power enough (not necessary as 580EX which is a little expensive)
580EX GN is 58 -$ 380
550EX GN is 55 - $290
500DG GN is 50 - $210
-> Basically if you shoot with f/5.6 the 580 will yield slighly more than 10m, the 550 slighly less tha 10m, and the Sigma will come in at about 9m...

Quote:
I would like to use flash off camera. If so how can I trigger the flash? Is there a wire connection since you said for Metz no wireless connection? For either 550EXor 580EX there will be no problems I think.

All of them are wireless: The Canon and Sigma work through IR, the Metz is through RF and is proprietary to Metz alone. With the Canon and Sigma 1 unit need to be set to Master and all the rest can be set to slaves - You can also divide the slaves into 3 groups (A,B, and C) each with their own ratio and group C can also be exposure compensated

Quote:
Can I use these flashes as Strobe-Flash for studio purpose?

The Sigma can - It has a photo cell built-in to the flash
With the Canon you need to buy a separate 'Photoeye' sensor
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 5:33 PM   #5

Hi,

Yesterday I have bought the Metz 54 MZ-4zi speccially for Canon.No adapter was needed.

I 'm reading manual instructionand want to ask for several question that I did not finded into manual:

1. What is or what is the purpose and different between: TTL mode and E-TTL mode

2. I will buy the "photyey sensor" for this flash to use it off camera. My wuestion is can I start the MEtz flash which is off camera with the built in flash. Will that make some influence on model light adjustment. Should I use a small glass to reflect the built in flash to different side of the model or better say directly to off camera flash.

3. Off camera flash I supose should be adjusted to be reflected from the white wall for the small room.In that case I should use a sinchronisation mode with the off camera flash.

Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:52 AM   #6

ETTL is specifically for the digital bodies (XT, 30d, etc) While the TTL is for the older cameras. If you try setting the flash to TTL when it's on a digital body, you'll probably get some wierd behavior once in a while.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote