Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:51 PM   #1

I have an olympus e300 and an olympus g40 flash that was built to work it seems on only one type of olympus camera. The g40 has 4 pins on the bottom of the foot. I purchased a wein hot shoe to hot shoe safe sync as advised by the olympus tech support. Well it doesnt make the proper connections with the flash to fire it. It works with the beat up vivitar flash but not the g40. I have a very limited budget and wondered if there was anyone out there who could help me either modify the flash or the wein sync to fire the flash. (this flash has a pretty good brain so it could function with out the ttl mode fine)

Thanks for any help in advance.

also attached are two images of the pin placements on the foot of the g40 flash
Attached Images

imageman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:16 PM   #2

Electronic Flash G40
The G-40 is a dedicated flash for the iS-1000, iS-2000 and iS-3000. Because the size of the hot shoe is non-standard, the flash can't be mounted on other cameras and vice versa other flashes can't be mounted on the iS cameras. However, it is possible to connect other flash units to the iS-1000, iS-2000 or iS-3000, off-camera, using the iS/L Multi-Flash Synchro Module.

http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/e.../is-series.htm

This site should tell you everything you need to know about the G40 and what it will (and will not) do. The opening quote is copied from the site.

Wish the new was better. If you have a limited budget look at the Sunpak 1600A. You'll need the Wein Safe (based on measurements from my multimeter). I use one of these when I need a lightweight flash on my E-1. Good to about 20 feet.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 3:01 PM   #3

The Wein Products support said that if I can find out what the pin config is on the G40 then the appropriate connections made to the HS adapter. So how would I go about finding out which is the firing pin and which is the functions of the other pins?

Can a multimeter be used for this?

Thanks for the continued help!

Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:40 PM   #4

Hi,
May I give my input ?
The functions of the other pins are not useful in this case. The goal is to find out the firing pins:
There is some points that can lead you to the right answer:
1) I can't see on the photo, but is there a "ground tab" , or kind of metallic contact for the ground side of the shoe? If yes, the ground must be one of the firing contacts, if no, go on.
2) The firing pair of contact should have a voltage when measured with a high impedance multimeter (digital are OK) , that is the "trigger voltage". The voltage can be high (100-200 Volts) or low (3-15 Volts), but contact pair with voltage across doesn't mean necessary they are the trigger contact pair ; some signal pin has a voltage to give information back to camera, or to be "pull down" by the camera
3) On a suspected pair of contact, short them via a resistance of about 100 Ohms, normally, this should fire the flash if it's the right pair of contacts.
The resistance is a precaution, up to you to risk to do this or not.
A well designed flash (or many other electronic equipments) won't be damaged with accidental short of contact pins.

I had a look at the G40 specs and manual, and it seems a quite good featured flash, I would try to make it fire instead of getting another recent cheap flash.

Good luck

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the input, the foot of the flash is completely plastic. The only metal are the 4 pins. I was going to try this methond> I have alligator clips from rat shack. I was going to clip one end to the pin that reads on the multimeter and touch the center of the wein hshs adapter which is the main iso firing connection. Then hit the test button on the side and see what happens. Only problem with that is that multiple pins may fire in combination. Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.

Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:37 PM   #6

Ok here is what I found.

Attached is a straight on photo of the flash foot clearly showing the 4 pins. The 2 pins set close together are towards the front (subject side) of the flash.

The circled contact is the one that registered on a radioshack multimeter set at 15ACV. When I touched the red probe to the circled contact and the black to the one next to it, I registered the most current. (20 on the ACVA scale on the multimeter)

When I left the positive probe on the circled contact and touched the remaining two contacts, I registered voltage but much lower (5 on the ACVA scale)

I tried connecting the pin circled directly to the center connection on the wein hshs adapter I have and to the center on a camera hot shoe. I was not able to make the camera fire. I presume because its a combination of pins that needs to be connected?

Maybe I did something incorrect.

Further input is needed I know very little about metering electronics and such.

Thanks for the further input.

Attached Images

Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:53 AM   #7

imageman2004,
1) Forget the Wein for now, it's no relevant and it will confuse you more;
2) Put your meter in DCV range (DC voltage);
3) Yes, 2 pins of the flash need to be shorted (or connected with the resistor) to fire the flash;
Try connect the 100 ohm resistor between the 2 pins which read20 volts

… 4) Another try: The test button on the flash may be connected directly to the 2 trigger pins ; If it's the case, you may try:
- fire the flash with the test button,
- turn off the flash immediately after the flash firing,
- short all the pins to discharge all signal voltage (put the pins on a metallic surface to short the pins all together,
- with the meter in resistance range (ohms or R) , try to find a pair of pins which give you a low resistance (around 0 ohms) when the test button is depressed, that's the trigger pair of pin.

Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:39 PM   #8

Ok I tried what you said

Turn flash on-> discharge flash via test button-> turn off immediately-> short all 4 pins by touching on metal surface to discharge.

My multimeter has DCV settings of 15/150/500 So i tried the same procedure on all 3 settings separately and got 0 resistance for all three settings. (I probably did something incorrectly)

I got no reading from anything. Im figuring that i either havemisunderstood the directions or have the wrong multimeter, seelink below

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I did however take the foot of the flash off, see photo below

There is a standard looking (but its probably not) 4 pin plug with 4 wires.

Hoping this will give some more insight Like hey olympus if full of it and the foot from an fl36,40 or other will fit directly or with a bit of McGuyvering and work ok.

Or that the red wire is the trigger and so on and so forth.

Attached Images

Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:46 AM   #9

Hi imageman2004 again,

Ha ha, your multimeter does not have a resistance range :blah:, so it's normal that you read nothing. So next:
1) You go get a multimeter with resistance measurement range (labelled Rx1, Rx100, etc … or something like that) no need to be fancy; it's good to have it in your toolbox, but not absolutely necessary to find answer to the present question.
If you have that multimeter, try again to find out
You can also try to trace if in fact the test button contact is connected to 2 of the 4 wires of the hotshoe.

2) The most reliable (also the simplest and the quickest) method is the #3 above , ie try to trigger the flash with 2 of the 4 wires/contacts, you have only 6 combinations to try (1-2, 1-3,1-4,2-3,2-4,3-4)

Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:30 AM   #10

To do that I can just purchase a 100 ohm resistor from ratshack?

Thank you for your insight, even though you laughed at my multimeter. HEHE:blah: