Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Flash (External)

Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:26 PM   #1

Hi this is my first post here. I've learned alot but am still quite a novice with camera's. I have a chance to get a Minolta 2500D external flash for my new Dimage Z5 at a bargain price from an aquaintance. I haven't used my new camera much so can't comment on whether I love itor hate it. Seems to be taking great pictures thus far. What situations would this external flash come in handy? I am going to Alaska in a month and wonder if there are situations that would present themselves there ...where I would like having this external flash. The book that comes with the flash doesn't say much at all. At this point the only mode I've used is auto on the camera. Can anyone out there help me out and tell me under what circumstances I would want or need to use this type of external flash and how I would use it?. Thank you so much.
letsgoplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:52 AM   #2
Administrator

This is the smallest (and weakest) of the strobes that are compatible with newer Konica Mnolta cameras. It's got tilt but no swivel.

It's not as powerful as the 3600HS (D) or 5600HS (D), so it's usefullness is more limited. But, it's still better than the built in flash for when you need to use one (indoors, fill flash outdoors).

If you're new to cameras, you'll soon discover that the range of the built in flash can be limiting in anything but the smallest spaces, and you'll figure out that a flash can be nice so that your subjects faces are not in shadows outdoors at times, too (especially if they're backlit so that they're much darker compared to the rest of a scene).

An external flash can be used to provide more even lighting than you'd get from the camera's flash, too (especially if you bounce one or use a diffuser, but the power of this one makes that kind of thing more limiting, depending on the conditons and subject, since a diffuser or bouncing a flash will reduce it's range. For average size rooms, you'd probably appreciate having one.

If you can get the little 2500 (D) at a good price, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have in your camera bag (and it's smaller and lighter than the more expensive strobes, too -- which can be a desirable thing in a strobe if you don't need more range). Due to KM getting out of the camera business, KM strobes have been commanding a premium on the used market lately, too).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:02 AM   #3

Thanks so much for the insight. I took my camera and flash out tonight and played with it for hours and you're right...........it really does make a difference. To me the difference is huge as compared to my built in flash and I can see the more I play with this thing the more I will probably want the more powerful flash units in the future. For now the price is right on this unit and I'm already having fun experimenting with it. Thanks again for all your information!!
letsgoplaces is offline   Reply With Quote