Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Fujifilm (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/fujifilm-22/)
-   -   Sold my DSLR outfit (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/fujifilm-22/sold-my-dslr-outfit-197242/)

gfmucci Mar 18, 2012 11:24 PM

Sold my DSLR outfit

I am so pleased with my HS20 (although I wouldn't mind owning the HS30) that I sold my DSLR outfit, including 4 lenses and flash.

I discovered after 6 months of owning the HS20 I wasn't using the DSLR at all. My trip to Europe with the DSLR in the fall of 2010 convinced me that I don't want to be switiching lenses, worrying about dust on the sensor, and carrying around 10 pounds of camera stuff. And it irritated my wife, although she never really said, when I had to stop to accommodate the hardware and carry the bulk.

Granted, in some situations, the DSLR did a better job. But in 95% of what I shoot, the HS20 is perfectly adequate. It is so nice to go to an event and be able to shoot a close up, a wide angle, and various telephoto shots within seconds of each other instead of fumbling for several minutes changing lenses back and forth.

And its a relief not having many hundreds of dollars worth of stuff sitting around ide.

guus Mar 19, 2012 8:02 AM

Congratulations...

gfmucci on your decision. I like the HS20 too, but I must say the HS30 is even better. Maybe selling the dslr stuff raises $500,- to spend on the HS30?

guus

Ozzie_Traveller Mar 19, 2012 3:15 PM

G'day gfm

As Guus says above "congratulations"

Wow - what a great post ... it is g-r-e-a-t to find someone else to agree with my findings as well, that lugging a bloody great dSLR + a bag of lenses around often/mostly is a pain in the bum

My first digi was a 14x zoom fuji, whose lens covered the 35mm - 500mm equiv range, and after a 6-month travelling holiday thru Australia, I took my suite of slr cameras & a bevy of lenses [covering 24mm > 1000mm] to the local college and donated them to the college for student's use

I have revisited the dSLR world with the Pentax - nothing wrong with the Pentax except constant dust issues, weight issues, wrong lens always on at the wrong time etc etc - so it's up for sale and back I go to a Fuji superzoom

To have the hassle of 'half-a-ton' of lenses & gear and all the constant worries of dust is a bloody pain :-(

Regards, Phil

gfmucci Mar 19, 2012 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guus (Post 1291366)
gfmucci on your decision. I like the HS20 too, but I must say the HS30 is even better. Maybe selling the dslr stuff raises $500,- to spend on the HS30?

guus

Actually I sold the Pentax DSLR stuff and used the money to buy a couple of ham radios. I do like the adventure of new hobbies :nuts: Maybe when I sell the radios in a couple of years I'll get the HS40.

john339 May 11, 2012 11:18 AM

I just found this thread and have to agree. I took my HS20 to Hawaii and didn't regret not taking my Pentax kr.
For the same reasons stated above.
I took the Pentax to the desert and ended up with dirt inside from changing lenses outside in the wind and dust.
Still have it but I rely on the Fuji for ease and cleanliness.