Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Jun 14, 2008, 9:56 AM   #1

Hi all

I have a S5 Pro and I shoot in RAW but I am only getting 157-177 frames per 4GB card. I thought this was small but didn't think much until a friend said he got about 450 from his canon in RAW. His is a 10MP so I would expect about the same amount of pics. Is there anything I could do to increase the amount of frames?

Regards

Lipjam
Lipjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Administrator

Sorry. The raw file size is going to be over 21MB from the Fuji. That's a much larger file size than the Canon produces. Keep in mind that your Fuji model's sensor uses two photosites for each pixel represented in a converted file, in order to increase dynamic range. That means more space is needed in a raw file to have room to store that many photosite values.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:14 AM   #3

Thanks JimC for the prompt reply. Yes the file size is 24.5Mb per frame. I thought it might have something to do with bracketting or multiple exposures??? I was fiddling with a host of settings (and there are so many on the S5 Pro!!) to try and reduce frame size. Now at least I can accept this and get on with taking pictures.

Regards

Lipajm
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Administrator

Doing a bit of digging, it does look like you can cut the raw file size in half if you set D-Range to Standard versus Auto with your camera.

Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:46 PM   #5

JimC

You're spot on.I had the camera set to one of the film simulation modes. I switched to Std (100%) and it jumped to 308 frames from 157.
Thanks for your efforts... it's much appreciated. I'll let you know if there is any significant differnence in the photo quality.

Regards

Lipjam
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:33 PM   #6
Administrator

I haven't looked at any raw conversion source code for it. But, my guess is that they combine the values from the two photosites at each pixel location, prior to writing out the raw file (versus keeping separate values for the two photosites in the raw file, hence a raw file that's only half the size).

So, that could reduce your options for best dynamic range during raw conversion if my speculation is correct.

Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:48 PM   #7

Surely the info is the same in a RAW file. Would not Photoshop be able to do the post processing as well as the S5 software? I know with the Fuji software you can select other dynamic range settings on the PC so I would imagine its possible with other software? I don't know enough to speculate?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:06 AM   #8

Hi Lipjam,

if you shoot RAW I'don't know any trick to reduce file size.
But copied to your harddisk you can reduce filesize remarkably by saving as Adobe DNG-format. There is a free converter-software at Adobe.
Some 21 MB RAW-files shrinked to 11 MB DNG-files!

You can also save in DNG-format out of Adobe Lightroom.
This software is quite comfortable (at least for me :-).
I think there are all data in the DNG-File still available as in the S5-RAWs.

You can test the actual version for 30 days I believe.
And as far as I know it can handle every finesse of the S5-RAW-Files.
I haven't used HyperUtility, but have the impression from reviews that buying Lightroom might be a better investment.

Good luck.
StevieSFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:03 PM   #9

Thanks Steve

I am not familiar with this format. Is there any quality loss? I know theoretically there has to be but in terms of editing/recovering pics.

The thing I love about RAW is you can recover a pic that has been under/over exposed (to a certain extent) while keeping the original. Also with Photoshop if you save any of the changes to the RAW Photoshop save the changes as a PSD file... which I presume allows you to undo those changes at a later date. I am a newbie to photoshop as I always used Corel x3 but moved to Photoshop because of its ability to deal with RAF. I know X4 now has this capability but I think I'll stick with Photoshop becasue I love its features. I particularly like Bridge which gives me direct access to the RAW editor.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.