Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:31 AM   #1

After reviewing the different threads looking for my possible problem among the many, I am wondering if the next step may be the black screen of death in my S2. I'll have to check my serial number to see if it's one from the affected batch. At this point, my pictures have random black spots- in the same place all the time and one seems to be a little bigger now. Could this mean my sensor is dirty or is this what happens before the black screen just happens? If it is just dirty, does it need to go to Fuji to be cleaned (or can a camera shop clean it)and how much would that possibly cost? I bought this used in 2001 for $2000. I can get a S5 for $900 now. And would Fuji replace my sensor if I bought it used if the serial number is on the list? I know, lots of questions. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
laweymers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Administrator

Does it seem to be more visible at smaller apertures (higher f/stop numbers), shooting against a bright background (like the sky), and becoming less noticeable at wider apertures (smaller f/stop numbers)?

If so, it's probably just dust on the sensor (and it's unlikely to be anything else from the way you're describing it as black spots in your photos).

You may want to post an example for members to look at, just to make sure.

Here is a page that shows some of the popular methods for cleaning a sensor:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:06 PM   #3

I called the only authorized fujifilm service listed on fuji's website for Michigan and they feel it is a dirty sensor too. I'm taking it in next week. They are going to check it over thoroughly and clean it and said it would most likely be under $100. Thanks for the response.
laweymers is offline   Reply With Quote