Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Recommend a card for S3 Pro?

Hi all,

I'm new to dSLR photography and decided to jump straight into the clear blue waters of the Fuji S3 Pro. I've bought one off ebay and now need to get some lenses and cards.

I've just ordered the Nikon 18-70 lens today so now need some cards. I see this question was asked back in 2005 and then the view was that there was no real speed difference between CF and xD. Is that still true with the M+ type of XD cards (I hear there is a type H card "Hi Speed' but can't find one to buy)

What are people using here and any other advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Darrragh
darragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:43 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums, as I see this is your first post here.

Congratulations on the new camera and lens. Those should be terrific choices for jumping into Digital Photography, with the Nikkor 18-70mm well matched to the resolution of that sensor, and that lens is a bit brighter than most lenses you'll find with a similar focal range, with lower Chromatic Aberrations (CA, Purple framing) compared to most lenses with a similar range from wide to long.

I'd make sure to install the latest firmware if it's not up to date. See this page:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...3pro/fupd.html

Yes... the tests I find for it do seem to indicate that xD Picturecard is faster in it, even though CompactFlash cards being tested were much faster than the xD Picturecards being used (which is a very slow card type). So, the camera's way of writing to CF cards was the problem, not the speed of the cards.

I'd probably go CompactFlash in it anyway and see if a newer card does any better, making sure to update to the latest firmware (as sometimes manufacturers don't advertise bug fixes or changes on their firmware info pages).

I'd probably grab something like this Transcend 133x 8GB CompactFlash card and see how that works in it. It's specs show that it's FAT32 compatible. I'd probably stick to around 8GB, as some cameras are particular with anything larger, even though they support FAT32. Here's one at a good vendor for flash memory cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208340

I've got a 16GB 133x Transcend that I've used in a variety of camera bodies without any issues (including Konica Minolta, Sony and Nikon dSLR models).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:36 AM   #3

Default Thanks Jim - ordered the Transcend card, thinking ahead now

So I went ahead and ordered the Transcend card and have the firmware upgrade downloaded and ready to apply.

My 18-70 lens arrived this morning so nearly ready to start shooting!. My main type of picture will be portraits of my 1 and 4 year old children so my next purchase will be a fast portrait prime lens.

I know some people like the 50mm (f1.4 or the cheaper f1.8) but has anyone here got a 35mm? With the crop factor that makes it a 52mm "normal" lens which seems to me a better field of view.

I may need to slow down and not buy additional lenses, flashes etc.until I've actually used the camera first. This can get a bit addicting!

Darragh
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:07 AM   #4
Administrator

Great. Let us know how it works. The older S3 Pro tests I see show virtually no difference in write speed between faster and slower CompactFlash cards (for example, 80x Lexar versus 133x Sandisk Extreme III). So, I wouldn't spend a lot on anything faster than that one, and at approx. $31 delivered for an 8GB card with a lifetime warranty, that's probably your best bet. I'd prefer the extra storage over a smaller xD Picturecard, even if the xD Picturecard does test faster. The only time you'll see any difference in camera performance between cards anyway, is when you fill up the camera's internal buffer. Then, you'll slow down to the speed the camera can write to a given card.

I'd just make sure to format it using the camera's menu choice for format prior to each reuse. That insures you always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table (just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format ) to reduce the potential for any corruption issues (and reformatting a card using the camera's menu choice for format is usually much faster than deleting the images on it anyway).

I've been using a 133x 16GB Transcend CF card that way since October 2007 with no issues (and it's been used in a variety of different camera models).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:52 AM   #5

Thanks JimC - got the card and it's working great. Do you keep a spare xD card in the other slot "just in case"?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:48 PM   #6

When I was using the Fuji S9100 I had the camera set to shoot to an 8GB 133x Trascend card but also kept a 1GB H type xD card in the other slot as backup. I found in that camera that the CF card could shoot off more images before it/the buffer slowed down vs an xD card. It never hurts to have a spare card in the other slot. If the card fails for some reason or you fill it just switch via the menu to the other slot and you keep on shooting till you can change out the CF card.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:25 PM   #7

Thanks Photo 5, I've already fallen foul of this. I've only got one CF card (the Transend 8Gb - thanks Jim) and I've taken the camera out without the card installed

All my previous "bridge" and pro-sumer cameras had SD cards (as do the photo frames and every other device on the market it seems) so I've got loads of them. Looks like I'll have to buy a third type of card to make my camera "idiot-proof". Just in case an idiot ever decides to use it