Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old May 17, 2003, 9:54 PM   #11

The CR- 123's are $25.00 us for a package of 20. That's about $1.25ea. for at least 1000 shots in my S2.

Check out http://www.botachtactical.com/toscr123a3vo.html
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 3:19 PM   #12

Would some owners of the S2 pro clarify this for me. I thought the CR123 use for the memory functions of the camera, does the internal built in flash draw the power from those AA batteries?
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 4:17 PM   #13

No, the internal flash on the camera is dependent on the CR-123's as well as other functions of the camera, but the camera will opperate just fine without the 123's without internal flash. The AA's won't last quite as long.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 8:16 AM   #14

bump...er... definitly a flaw design.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:28 PM   #15

tuanock..... RE:
[Post] Posted: 22 Jul 2003 05:16 Post subject:
bump...er... definitly a flaw design.

I suppose your a digicam designer or own some other off brand higher end digicam...
Do you know of another camera of that standard, run out of battery power, and go to most any store in the world and buy 4 AA's and be working? The S2 does not need the CR-123's to operate properly, but without the built in flash, which that peanut flash which is mostly worthless. I use a Nikon SB-28 with full TTL with the Fuji S2.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 9:34 AM   #16

Default now look here...

the main point is that I don't know of ANY other digicam anywhere that uses nonrechargable batteries for flash (and whatever other function). So why on earth would Fuji decide to do something so whacky and weird to put a blemish on their otherwise perfect camera? It just seems so silly. It's like taking a Ferrari and putting a cardboard seat in it. IT'S JUST PLAIN SILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 5:54 PM   #17

While it might seem at first glance that the dual battery system is a problem, it really is not.

If it really bugs you, buy an MB16 and then you can use all AA's, or operate the camera without the CR123's.

If you operate the camera without the CR123's (many do), then the ONLY thing you lose is the ability to use the builtin flash. But that might be a blessing in disguise, as the builtin flash is totally worthless.

It has been almost 2 months since your first post - have you bought the camera, or are you still fence sitting?

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:55 AM   #18

Initially the battery issue scared me away so I never bought it. Had I known then that the battery issue was not important I would have bought it.
But that's all history now and I found a solution. Instead for waiting for the slooow evolution of d-cameras, I am taking matters into my own hands. This weekend I'm going to the store and find me a 3Mpixel consumer camera, 9 of them. I will mount them on a bracket in an array, wire their shutters together, and have myself the ultimate photo machine. I will be the envy of the most hardcore professional photographers, and I will have the last laugh.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 6:57 PM   #19

I wish :-)

Fuji now has the S3 in the pipeline, so maybe waiting for that to arrive sometime this fall might be the best decision, as you don't seem to be in any rush.

Rumors from Fuji are a 9MP SuperCCD SR chip, in an, as yet, un-named Nikon body.

Good luck. And post some of your 'array' photos when you get them.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 12:01 AM   #20
Administrator

The "problem" was inherited from Nikon - blame them. Fuji bought the camera body from Nikon and it is based on their film camera which uses the same type of batteries.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote