Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Aug 6, 2002, 12:29 PM   #1

Default fuji S2 batteries

I'm a bit confused. I'd love to buy this camera but from what I read, it seems that I will have to keep feeding the S2 those expensive non-rechargeable lithium batteries just to keep the flash going. I mean, this has to be ridiculous... if I'm using the flash a lot, that can cost $20 a day, and that's if I'm lucky to be near a store that carries those batteries.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2002, 4:59 PM   #2

So get an external flash that takes AA's...

You can get a nice Sunpak for like $150. Then you'll get better pictures too.

Otherwise, you can get a 20 pak of the lithium batteries for $30 from Botach Tactical. I did both.

Good luck.
James Wiseman
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 10:21 PM   #3

$20.00/day? Where are you buying your CR123's. I get a 2 pack at the local grocery store @$6.00/pack, been using the original pair of batteries for a week with internal flash for a week now. No sign of failure yet. Yes, I'm using the Fuji S2 and love it.
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 3:58 AM   #4

The CR123a last 450 shots or so. Some people use the camera without them. I have not tried the latter nor changed the batteries as yet.

If you use flash a lot. I would agree with others and get a decent flash. Built in flash guns are too small for must purposes and only work well with a few lens.

$2 in the US is about the correct price to buy!
ashenfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 9:18 AM   #5

I suppose an external flash might be a good idea, maybe my old minolta flash might even work. Thanx for the tip.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2002, 8:22 PM   #6
Administrator

For the S2 Pro stick with a Nikon dedicated flash. The newer "DX" models work in concert with the 3D-color matrix metering. The least expensive flash would be the SB-50DX.

Popup builtin flashes are good in a pinch but if you plan on taking a lot of flash pictures you'll want an external flash for better coverage and a lotless red-eye problems.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2002, 6:40 PM   #7

Default Rechargeable CR123s!

Check out http://www.2cr5.co.uk and then follow "Other Products" through various battery packs to...

A rechargeable NiMH CR123A.

From their shopping area, you'll see that buying a 4 pack will cost about 30 pounds, say $45, plus the charger for 40 pounds, say $60.

This may not be the cheapest way to go (it depends how much you use the CR123As), BUT (and this is key to me) it provides a way for always having batteries available when travelling, etc. The alternative is to drag along a pile of CR123As, since I can't count on having a convenient shop in, say, Honiara!

Malc.
Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 6:32 PM   #8

Default flash and cr123s

If you need to use flash frequently then use an external unit.

If it's infrequent, use the cr123s and keep the adapter handy.

When the 123s die simply remove them and insert the adapter. The camera functions without the 123s

tony
galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 5:36 PM   #9

Galvan

What adapter are you talking about?
MikePL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 8:50 PM   #10

One alternative to the CR123's is to use the Nikon MB16 battery pack.

I use sunpak flashes (4000Z and 120J) and they work flawlessly. Unlike the D100, the S2 works just fine with non DX flashes.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote