Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:30 AM   #1

Default Fuji S3 purchase

I've just purchased an almost mint condition Fuji S3 pro from someone who used it as a backup camera (ebay). From the photo's it looks in excellent condition.

I own a Nikon D300 at the moment which is my main camera and bought this camera for my kids to use (age 10-20) It may be to big for the 10 year old but my 15 year old daughter and 20 year old son have no problems using my D300.

What memory and batteries would you recommend me using with this camera? I presume it uses AA rechargables and compact flash but does it also use CFII memory and if so is there a limit to the size of a CF card I can use?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Administrator

It can use CompactFlash Type I or Type II cards.

But, all of the popular CompactFlash cards from major brands are going to be Type I Cards anyway. The main difference is that Type II cards are physically thicker. So, when Microdrives were popular, a number of cameras started supporting Type II Cards.

But, now that Microdrives have fallen out of favor since Flash Memory is less expensive, Type II card compatibility is no longer an issue.

As for Card Sizes supported, it's a FAT32 compatible model. So, it supports card sizes larger than 4GB.

But, I don't know of anyone that's tested one with cards larger than 8GB, so you'd have to try a larger one to see if it works or not, unless we have an S3 Pro user that chimes in with experience using something larger.

Here's one thread on the subject:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...rd-s3-pro.html

As for batteries, I'd consider good quality AA NiMH rechargeable batteries with a higher capacity (i.e. >2000mAH). From what I can see from our S3 Pro Review, we got 290 shots on a set of 2500mAH NiMH rechargeables (of course, battery life will vary based on a number of factors).

But, some of the other newer battery types are becoming popular now, too (for example, Sanyo Eneloops and similar low discharge rechargeables). Here's one vendor that stocks a lot of chargers and batteries:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com

You may want to browse through the Batteries or Power Packs Forum for threads discussing chargers and batteries.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It can use CompactFlash Type I or Type II cards.

But, all of the popular CompactFlash cards from major brands are going to be Type I Cards anyway. The main difference is that Type II cards are physically thicker. So, when Microdrives were popular, a number of cameras started supporting Type II Cards.

But, now that Microdrives have fallen out of favor since Flash Memory is less expensive, Type II card compatibility is no longer an issue.

As for Card Sizes supported, it's a FAT32 compatible model. So, it supports card sizes larger than 4GB.

But, I don't know of anyone that's tested one with cards larger than 8GB, so you'd have to try a larger one to see if it works or not, unless we have an S3 Pro user that chimes in with experience using something larger.

Here's one thread on the subject:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...rd-s3-pro.html

As for batteries, I'd consider good quality AA NiMH rechargeable batteries with a higher capacity (i.e. >2000mAH). From what I can see from our S3 Pro Review, we got 290 shots on a set of 2500mAH NiMH rechargeables (of course, battery life will vary based on a number of factors).

But, some of the other newer battery types are becoming popular now, too (for example, Sanyo Eneloops and similar low discharge rechargeables). Here's one vendor that stocks a lot of chargers and batteries:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com

You may want to browse through the Batteries or Power Packs Forum for threads discussing chargers and batteries.
Thanks very much for your time and effort in helping me. I've ordered 2 sets of UNIROSS 2700 mAh AA batterys and 2 * 4gb samsung 133 CF cards so hopefully should be good enough to start with.

Thanks again for your help
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote