Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Feb 5, 2004, 8:38 AM   #1

Default S3 is coming

go to www.tallyns.com

Karl
kdietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2004, 9:37 AM   #2

Fuji should be announcing today the "New S3 Pro" and a 6 mp Pro portrait and medical camera for show at PMA. :lol:
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:58 AM   #3

The *new* S3 should have been called the S2 Pro Mark II.

I sure hope Fuji has a real upgrade *Pro* camera coming real soon.

Why?

- Still N80 based body
- Still only 6 (real) MP
- Still APS sized sensor

As I already have an S2 in my kit, this is not a viable upgrade for me, nor I expect most current S2 users.

I was really hoping Fuji would come through. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens during PMA. Hopefully this is just a teaser, or maybe a bad joke by Fuji.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 1:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Still only 6 (real) MP
The new sensor has two photodiodes in each pixel position, one with much higher sensitivity. Supposedly, this gives four times the dynamic range, which is a significant improvement.

True, it is still only 6 MP, but resolution isn't everything.

I wonder what the price will be, though...
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:15 AM   #5

I had expected the new SR sensor to be in whatever new dSLR Fuji produced, but at a higher MP count. Something in the 10-12MP range and I was also hoping for a smaller crop factor, even FF.

I expect the new sensor will produce some great images with great DR, but for most current S2 owners, that will just not be enough to upgrade, especially given the price Fuji is likely to ask for the camera.

Another thing that bothers me is the ship date I see bandied around - late summer. For a camera that is essentialy a reworked S2, that is a pretty long delay.

Declan
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Bigelow
Quote:
Still only 6 (real) MP
I wonder what the price will be, though...
No more than the current asking price for the Fuji S2 a little bird says.
Entimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 7:24 AM   #7

Apparantly Fuji has said "less than $3000". That could translate into $2999.99.
Either way, $3000 is, in my opinion, over twice where they need to be.

Declan
Old Feb 16, 2004, 4:48 PM   #8

I am quite impressed with the new technology in the sensor. Each pixel has a big sensor (more sensitive to light, just like how high speed film has large grains of silver halide) and a small sensor (less sensitive to light, just like how low speed film has small grains) and it appears that the on-camera processor decides how much of each sensor to use in the final image. I am curious how the RAW files will be - will the raw files contain all the data from both sensors, doubling the raw file size, or will that still be done on-camera? If the raw files contain data from both sensors, will Fuji release a new raw file converter that lets you have control, or at least do a better job than the on-camera chip? I am interested to find out what Fuji is planning on. At any rate, The S3 might make a good replacement for my S1 but I'll still use the S2.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:37 AM   #9

For a RAW file to be a raw file, it must contain all of the sensor data without any manipulation. So the S3 raw files will be unaltered by the camera.

From what I have read so far, the S3 raw files will be in the 24MB range. To handle the raw files from the SR sensor, Fuji will have to come out with a new raw converter.

Apparantly the new (v2.1) Adobe raw plugin for photoshop can handle the SR raw files.

Declan