Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Jul 9, 2004, 2:53 PM   #1

I have what may seem like a dumb question.

I recently started doing a custom white balance with my S2 for my studio shots and have been getting fabulous results. In studio, I shoot in manual mode and take a light reading with a meter to set my exposure.

I have tried doing a custom white balance for outdoor shots (candids) using natural light, shooting in aperature priority mode. My resulting color is not as accurate as my studio shots.

Is this because I am shooting in aperature priority and therefore my exposure (shutter speed) could be changing with each shot? Should a custom white balance only be used when shooting in manual mode?

Jes&Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2004, 9:15 AM   #2

Outdoors the light may be changing during the shoot - clouds coming and going, time of day, etc. So your custom white balance wil not be keeping up with that, unless you do it frequently. In the studio, your lighting does not change (color temperature, anyway), so the custom white balance works.

Personally, I set my camera to daylight white balance and leave it there. I also use a Macbeth color chart and photograph that at the start of a shoot. Then, using the shot of the chart, I can set a white balance in the computer (if I need to) for processing my files.

By the way, I also shoot ONLY raw.

Using manual, aperature, shutter or program modes should make no difference to color balance.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 1:22 PM   #3

Thanks, Declan. Maybe I will try using more of the preset white balances instead of always trying to do a custom. Do you use daylight WB on a sunny day if you are shooting a portrait in the shade (for example, under a tree)?

I am not shooting RAW yetso I am trying to getthe color and exposureright the first time. I just ordered a Photoshop CS upgrade, which I understand has a RAWconverter. Next I need to get some bigger CF cards and then I will take the leap into shooting RAW.

My lab provided me with a "zebra card" that I use for white balance. It's B&W striped with a middle gray strip down the center. If I also take a photo of that, can I use it later in Photoshop to correct any color casts? How exactly would I do that?

Jes&Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:24 AM   #4

Yes, I almost always just leave WB on Daylight. One advantage of raw is the ability to easily change such things. If you have the Fuji EX converter, it too can change WB easily, and in my opinion, does a better job on S2 raw images than does PS8.

Sounds like your zebra card should work fine for setting color, especially if it has black, white and (I presume) an 18% grey stripe.

If you want to shoot raw, get at least a 1GB card or microdrive, but stay away from the Magicstor MD cards, they seem to have problems. Get IBM or (now) Hitachi microdrives.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:42 AM   #5

:|The S2 is by far the best jepg camera on the market. Custom white balance is best used for a constant light set up, ie. studio but remenber if you change the power of you flash units you will increase or decrease color temp. and need to white balance again.

For out door shots the S2 preset white balance dose a great job. I usually use Auto.

For on camera flash I use Auto. Remember your flash unit on the camera changes color temp. as it lowers or raises the power.
Jim_thephotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:30 AM   #6

I always shoot in Raw, so I set WB in Daylight from the day I bought S2Pro, because I think I have taken film in 18 years, always daylight film, so no problem when I set so. A little change in color temperature I will check in EX Raw Converter. If sometimes I take pictures in jpeg, I only reset WB when in FLD tube, or Halogen light.
trungthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:12 PM   #7

If you mimick what you are doing in studio with shooting in Manual mode, taking a light reading, then setting your Custom WB, you will have far superior results.

Shooting in Aperture Priority or some other mode, other than Manual, is not going to give you consistent results and YES will have an effect on the outcome of your WB. The reason is you are also calibrating your exposure, which in turn aids with the WB. It is like the days of film where we used the grey card to calculate exposure. You still need the proper exposure.

Shooting in Aperture priority for instance, and dependent upon which metering mode you are using, this is going to play with the exposure, which in turn again effects your WB and your overall image.
PBJphotography is offline   Reply With Quote