Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2004, 3:28 AM   #1

:?

Hi All,

I am posting this topic for a friend's Fujifilm S2 Pro,

The problem that i am facing is that after shooting the pics no picture is being registered on the file, Although the postview mode displays the frame but the frame is purely black without any picture (see attached pics). All the functions of the camera, i.e. Focusing, metering, zooming, clicking, etc are working normally as they used to be but no picture is being registered on the frame.

I downloaded the pics to my PC and the picture files take up 3 MB or so of Harddisk space but no picture is visible.

I wanted to know if anybody has gone through same problem

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

AK

Attached Images

ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2004, 9:26 AM   #2

Hi AK,

Well there are a couple of possible causes of your problem, none of them very good news.

#1: The shutter is not actually opening, hence registering no image.

#2: An electronics problem causing the image to not be retrieved or actually transfered to the buffer.

You can verify #1, by removing the lens and firing the shutter while looking into the image chamber. The mirror should flip up and then the shutter should open and close.

Use Manual mode and select a slow shutter speed to be sure you can see everything happen.

If you can see the shutter open and close, then try setting different shutter speeds and try to estimate the time the shutter opens.

IE: Start at 1 second, then go to 1/2 sec. 1/4 sec, 1/8 sec etc. You should be able to estimate if the shutter speed is doubling with each change.

That will tell you if the shutter speeds are more or less correct.

Just in case it's the lens, also try taking a few shots with a different lens.

If the shutter speed is working and the speed seems okay, and if it exhibits the same problem with a different lens, then you may have an electronics problem.

One last thing to try: remove ALL the batteries from the camera. Allow to sit for a while without any batteries. Insert FRESH batteries and then do a software reset (have to check the manual to see which buttons to press). Then try some photos again.

Same problem? Electronics.

Hope that helps.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:08 PM   #3

Hi AJK, I just joined this forum seeking answers to the same problem. I have been in the field of photography for the past 30 years and have already tried all that I know to find the problem. my shutter is working fine, but no picture on the LCD and no imagage downloaded although like you say there is data registered on the flashcard???????????? I need help two / too.
laroda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:06 AM   #4

Hi there,

I bought the s2 awhile ago in thailand, where i live. And have the exact problem.

All pictures turn up as black images, and it takes a long time to load them in the display .

I tried resetting the whole cam, but unfortunately this didnt change a thing.

The lens is oke, it works on a nikon d100. And the reflex is fine in all light cercumstances.

So it cannot be a mechanical problem,

there is a problem with sending the picture to the memorycard.

so it has to be a software thing

does anyone know how to solve this

because at the camerashops here they look at me as if i bought a broken camera.

thanx in advance
mouspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:37 AM   #5

Sure sounds like an electronics problem to me. Recently I have seen many posts reporting that the CCD in the camera had gone dead. Possibly that is your problem too.

At this point, the ONLY thing I can suggest/recommend is that you take the camera into an authorized Fuji service center and let them have a look at it.

The dead CCD seems to be a known problem to Fuji and Fuji has been replacing the CCD outside of warranty, in some cases. If Fuji tells you it is a dead CCD and that it must be replaced, INSIST on it being done gratis.

Good luck.
Declan
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:03 PM   #6

hi has anyone had any problems with their s2 software not recognizing more than one body?
kev hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:17 PM   #7

Hi Guys,

I got my S2 CCD problems solved, took it back to the dealer who sent it back to FUJI or somewhere. after about three weeks I got a call to pick up the camera from the dealer. it's been working since.
laroda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 1:59 AM   #8

I own an S2 with only minor problems, but I know of at least 5 S2's that have died (BLACK SCREEN DEATH) in the last 45 days. 2 died during weddings. Thank God for back ups! My friend that I was with when his died at a wedding, called Fuji and told the lady who answered the call what happened and that there were serveral in the New Orleans, Louisiana area that also died and he wanted to know what was Fuji doing about the problem? She replied to send the camera in for repairs and Fuji would relace the CCD. She did not mention anything of a charge or anything. He took it as Fuji would repair it FREE of CHARGE. It has been almost three weeks and the camera is not back yet. It does worry me and depending on how Fuji handles this will help mwe decide whether to buy the S3 or give the Kodak Pro another look. My friend also owns serveral Kodaks and they are a lot older and just keep going and going. I do beleive the problem is big enough that owners of S2's should be notified. We will wait and see....................
gatorphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 7:52 PM   #9

The Fuji S2 dead CCD is pretty old news now, as it has been going on for a long time. It seems to be related to a particular serier of serial numbers. Someone has a database of the serial numbers on the web.

At first Fuji was charging for replacement, especially if you didn't insist that they should fix it under warranty. But now Fuji has realized that they probably had a bad batch (not sure if it's actually the CCD or the support electronics) and are fixing all such incidents under warranty.

Your friend should call Fuji to get an update on his repair and also make sure they are not going to charge him. Three weeks sounds much longer than most of these repairs has taken.

Declan
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Add another to the list. I had the one year warranty. After1 year and 11 months, mine has the exact same problem. When I emailed Fuji, they told me they had no idea what the problem could be without seeing the camera. If the camera is no longer under warranty, do you think there is any chance they'll fix it?
Quote:
Thanks!
edwinabackinbowl is offline   Reply With Quote