Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Jul 29, 2004, 4:43 AM   #1

Hi all,

This being my first post I'd like to say hello to everyone.

Ihave 2 questions re the S2.

I own an MB16 I bekieve this can be modified to suit the S2 how is this done?

I have 3 zoom lenses for the camera sigma 15-30 + 24-70 also nikkor 70-300.

In use I have noticed an autofocus anomaly with both sigmas ie focus is often erroneous at wide apertures, the nikkor is pin sharphowever. Is there a known problem with Sigma lens electronics/optics. Incidently on going to full manual focus on all lenses results are perfect! but not ideal in every shooting situation where speed is of the essence.

ps. A third question if I may- I also notice when upping iso that the excellent quality acheivable in the 100-200 iso range rapidly declines as one hits 400+. When shooting RAW does this decrease in quality exhibit itself at the listed 400+isos?

I haveto say the S2 is an excellent camera- roll on the S3...
Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:20 AM   #2

Hi,

Here is a link to the MB16 mod.

http://www.pbase.com/dannerw/mb16s2

Basically, the lip on the back edge needs to be removed and the cap that came on the battery posts needs to be modified so it fits over the battery posts, in order to center and stabilize the MB16 when attached to the S2. Another mod, not usually mentioned, is a small set of soft springs should be attached to the contacts at the top of the battery post. This will ensure good contact at all times.

As for the AF issues. Well yes, the S2 does have some AF issues, but in most cases it is due to the camera settings and not the lens used. I have the Sigma 15-30 and have had no problems.

To set the best options:
- CSM 7 & 8 - set both to closest subject focus OFF
- Set the active AF sensor to the center sensor - it is the ONLY sensor with both a horizontal AND a vertical sensor.
- Set dynamic focus OFF - on the small function LCD, make sure the AF function is [ ] and NOT [+]. The + signifies dynamic AF (ie: the sensor in use can change)

Dynamic focus will allow the camera to select a different AF sensor (without telling you it has done so), so your focus target may not be what you think it is. A wide angle lens gives the camera a wider (sorry for the pun) choice than a telephoto, so AF problems will be more noticable with a WA lens.

Also make sure you always have fresh fully charged batteries in your S2. If you use the CR123's, these MUST be fresh, as they provide power for the AF. Low battery power will adversly affect AF (and VR too).

Now test your lenses with those settings, and use the center AF sensor to select your AF target. Hopefully, that will solve your AF problems.

Image quality at higher ISO. Generally speaking, the S2 exhibits excellent quality at higher ISO's. However all digital cameras will exhibit increasing amounts of noise as you increase the ISO setting. That's just a fact of life. That said, the S2 is generally thought to be one of the best high ISO performers.

RAW may help improve things slightly as you have much greater control over the image in post processing.

If I might add a personal opinion: you should only shoot using raw mode, as that is the only way to capture all the imformation from the sensor. Using the raw converter EX to process your raw files gives a very high degree of control over your final image.

JPG's are a lossy format, so the camera throws away some data when it creates them. It also casts in stone (so to speak) things like sharpening, color saturation, color balance, which although fixable in a jpg, will result in even more data loss if you do.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 5:49 AM   #3

Cheers Declan,

MB-16 fits a treat and works great.

I did the checks on the nearest focus etc.. csm 7,8 and found 7 on.

Did as you suggested and it seems to have worked.

Thanks again.
Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:50 AM   #4

Glad I could help. Happy shooting.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote