Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:12 AM   #1

I am a news photographer I use Nikon D1, I was considering getting the new Nikon D2x but I am shooting more weddings. From what I hear the Fuji S3 has a better image capture. Is this true?
matthew vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:55 AM   #2
Administrator

Matthew:

This model is not shipping yet. So, it's difficult to say how good the images will be. Some Fuji users have high hopes for it's new sensor design.

BTW, I moved your query to the Fujifilm Digital SLR forum, where you'll have a better chance of getting responses to it (the forum you posted in is for non-DSLR Fuji models).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:24 AM   #3
DBB

Well apparently it's being billed as a 12 mp machine, but the reality is 6. The dual type sensors will allow greater color defintion - so they claim, but the 12 mp rating if from interpolation.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:05 PM   #4

:|Have my S3 for a week. So far I glad I made the purchase

I am a Portrait and Wedding Photographer and have 2 S2 with various lens and Sb80 flash units. Have been very pleased with results including resolution and color. I also have 2 D70s

I like the S3 in ever respect better. I'll make a list and remark.

Feel Better

controls Familiar and better

batteries I solved the problem long ago bynot using the 123s and using rechargeable

Resolution: Better. This is not subjective. This is actual. Why, I don't know.Now the subjective part. I think most people expect the resolution to bemuch much greater. Facts are to increase 100% from 6mgp you will need 24mgp. Increase 6 mpg to 12mpg and you get 25% increase. I am not sure the S3 is truly a 12mgp. camera but it is certainly greater than 6mgp. and the camera interpolation software doesthe best jobI have ever seen. Again Fujifilm remains the champ in a 6mgp camera. Note If all your prints are 11X14sor smaller no need to buy an S3 just buy a D70. If your order are consistantly for 16X20 and 20X24 definatley get the S2 or S3. If You occasionally sell a 24X30 or 30X40 full length or group shoot you really need a 24mpg digital back, but if you dont have one you will need all the little advantages you can get. S3 in Raw, Nikon 28-70 2.8 lens, tripod, perfect exposue and light balance, Fill the frame as tight as possible, post processing and probable some old time hand art work,in other words combine all the possible extra edge hardware and technique you can muster.........You definaly get some extra edge from the S3.

color: great and I am a jpeg shooter and this camera works really great

DR: This fallI started a new series of outdoor portraits only using natural light (no fill flash and no reflectors just me, subject and camera with the S2 and now the S3 is so much better for this purpose.

Flash: I love the Sb800 over the Sb80. By the way I have 2 D70 with the Sb800 and love the consistant flash photography the I achieve. NowI get that same level of flash photography that I always wanted from my S2 but just could not get.

Example of my S2 at http://www.duncanphoto.com
Jim_thephotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:42 PM   #5
wll

Jim_thephotographer,

Please check web page as it does not come up.

Thank you,

Bill
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 3:00 PM   #6

:|I'll try again http://duncanphoto.com/
Jim_thephotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:49 PM   #7
wll

Jim,

Very nice work,

Bill
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:26 PM   #8
Administrator

Our S3 Pro First Look was just posted with the first set of our usual indoor test sample photos. So far the color and resolution looks very good. As with all of the SuperCCD cameras we have reviewed to date, the native (6MP) res images look better than the interpolated 12MP ones. What is really nice is the Film Simulation modes and the Wide D-Range capabilities. we'll post a full set of outdoor and people / flash pictures with the conclusion in the near future.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 2:48 AM   #9

Here are photos from the S3 and the 20D:

http://www.pbase.com/pyoung2493/coco_girls

The 3 photos with the DSC are Fuji S3, the 3 photos with the IMG prefix are from the 20D.

Phil
PYoung2493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:10 PM   #10

I read somewhere that the S3 is slow (I assume slow to process the image to buffer then media), and that the typical professional wedding or studio photographer won't mind the slowness if they get a better image as a tradeoff.

I'm no expert on the topic, but I think a lack of responsiveness is a distraction for any photographer.

However, you have to hand it to Fuji for raising the bar w.r.t. image quality on a mid-level priced pro digicam.

Very interested toread Steve's review when it's available.

Hey, awesome gallery and website, Mr. Duncan.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote