Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:34 PM   #1

I'm working with RAW files from a Fuji S3. The CCD on this camera has 6 million pixels sites, each of which has a small(R) and a large(S) pixel. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me whether the S and R pixels' information is combined before writing the RAW file, or whether the RAW file has separate sections for each of the two classes of pixels, and the user must combine these as best they can. I know that JPEGs from the camera have the information combined by the "Super CCD Processor". I don't know whether that processor is invoked before writing the RAW file, though. Thank you.
johnmann56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:29 PM   #2

Fuji claims R & S work like a speaker with a tweeter. In that case, they are wired together with a condenser. "Raw" as you know, is a "negative" without post processing. R & S work together, high & low output and don't think you can turn one or the other off. I'll have to ask my FUJI Rep, but think I am right.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:58 PM   #3

You can alter the 'balance' between the R and S pixels when using 3rd party RAW converters. S7Raw IIRC correctly has this feature, not sure about Photoshop's converter off hand though.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:01 PM   #4

I have just learned from Dave Coffin that the S3 RAW file does indeed write out the S and R pixels separately, and does not combine them in the camera. If one uses a processed image from the camera, like a JPEG, the S and R pixels have been through the "Super CCD Processor" to generate a combined image, with a claimed factor of 4 in expansion of the dynamic range compared to the S2 Pro.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the lead on the 3rd party converters, Harvey. I'll check it out. I wonder what the general algorithm or methodology of combining the sets of RAW pixels is, that goes on in the "Super CCD Processor" within the camera.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:20 PM   #6
Administrator

In our test/review literature from Fuji they have indicated that the wide dynamic range will best be seen by in-camera JPEG images rather than raw post-processed. We'll be sure to include sample photos taken both ways in our full review when it is posted.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:56 AM   #7

To Johnmann56, I think maybe there's an ND (or equavalent in electronic) put ahead of R pixel to record the highlight exceed the ability of the S pixel, and then combined in later. If my thought is right, they can change the rate of the ND filter (by electronic), to auto the dynamic range, and when they take off the ND, there's 12 photosites (# 12 Mp) real in the chip. May I hear another idea.
trungthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:32 PM   #8

Acording to my information the Fuji S3 RAW hyper utility software will control all of the questions above. Will convert RAW to TIF, RAW to JPG, etc...

Quote from dpreview (fuji slr forum) about HU...
'Yes, he is just plain flat wrong on this point. The software defaults to the camera settings but you have the option of adjusting everything including ratio of S and R pixels. Granted the interface is not very good but he shouldn't have missed this. Rest of the review seems in line with my experience and other reviews.

==PeterF== '
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote