Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:28 PM   #1

I am considering buying either an S2 or S3 in the near future. What advantages will I get going for the S3?
I do weddings and studio/fine art and for the fine art work my prints are a minimum of 16x20 up to 20x24. I currently use medium format and Leicas for the weddings. What print quality can I expect from the S2, S3?
Thanks
Phil
Philip K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:30 AM   #2

If you use Leica, why you don't find Leica's digital back. And there're many digital backs for medium format. If you think to S2 or S3, you must use Nikon Lenses. I have used S2 in 2 years (about more than 65,000 shots) for calendar pictures, at the size to 20 inches, I don't see the difference to the 6x7 (medium format) in quality. Now I have just bought S3 Pro, I think it's better, better in dynamic range, and better in detail.
trungthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:51 PM   #3

trungthu, thanks for your reply. I would use the Leica digital back, but that is for the SLR, and all of my equipment is M based. It will be a long time, if ever that Leica comes out with a digial back for the M series. I do use Nikon reflex cameras also, hence my need to use the Fuji cameras for the lens adaptability. Are you saying that the S2 is equal in quality to a 6x7 format print up to 20 inch width? Do you see a LARGE difference between the S2 and S3 prints? Would you see the difference if the prints from the 2 cameras were not held side by side?
Philip K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:08 AM   #4

Philip K. I have just bought S3 Pro, and now, I don't have the software (HS-V2 Ver.3.0) to convert the Raw (14 bits) to 16 bit TIFF file, so I can not compare it to S2Pro. When I use Converter LE from Fuji, I only have a 8 bit tiff file, like better than jpeg file only. With my S2Pro, my pictures are converted to 16-bit tiff file (69 MB), after that, I change them to CMYK, then image size to 45cm at 350 dpi. Use USM in Photoshop CS with a little add noise. I see it in an offset print, compare to another print (6x7cm), and I don't find any different.
trungthu is offline   Reply With Quote