Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:20 PM   #1

Hello. It appears that my S2 just crapped out. Unfortunately it is 6 months out of warranty. I was wondering if anyone else has another other troubleshooting ideas I can try before I call Fuji on Monday (they are closed now because it is the weekend).

My S2 is recording black frames, almost as though the lens cap were on. (no, the lens cap is not on... I checked that... ha, ha).

I removed the lens and put the camera in manual mode just to make sure the mirror is actually flipping out of the way, and it is.

I have tried multiple CF cards with the same unfortunate results, so I don't think it is a card problem.

I have tried indoor with flash and bright outdoor. I have tried varying the ISO as well.

Now I am a little bit panicked if I can't figure this out because I do not have a backup camera.

Any ideas? :?

Jes&Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:49 AM   #2

I just thought I would post a follow up to this in case anyone else experienced a similar problem. I called Fuji and they knew right away that it was a problem on the board level and are replacing my CCD for free, even though the camera is no longer under warranty. I sent it off on Monday, so we'll see how long it takes. At first I was mad but then thought, kudos to Fuji for standing behind their product. What more as consumers can we ask for?

I did some digging online and found that this is a huge problem, particularly with S2's whose serial numbers start with 32. I even found a website where they are tracking S2 CCD failures by serial number. http://jamfactor.com/dpreview/s2history/
Jes&Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:22 PM   #3

Thank you SO much for your posting. Mine is also out of warranty by 11 months. Very frustrating! I'll give Fuji a call as I emailed and they claimed they couldn't do anything without seeing the camera.

edwinabackinbowl is offline   Reply With Quote