Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm dSLR

Old Apr 27, 2006, 9:48 PM   #1

Hello. I purchased my S3 a couple of weeks ago and I'm first getting used to it. One thing I notice isI'm not getting any realtime picture on my display LCD when I am shooting. Is this a malfunction with the camera, or am I missing something in the setup mode? Anyone's help is appreciated. Elliott.

Http://www.pbase.com/finepixer
Finepixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:31 AM   #2

Hi finepixer,

If you have just upgraded from a compact or 'prosumer' camera you need to be aware that, as a rule, NO true slr can display a constant real time image on its lcd screen because the mirror covers the ccd until you actually trip the shutter.

The point being that everything you need to know is displayed in the (superior) optical reflex viewfinder.

Cleverly 'tho... the S3 can display a basic b&w image preview for 30 seconds to assist framing and focusing.....(although there is seldom much point in doing this...and I'm not sure how it manages this!!)

You can set this up on a per shot basis in your camera options.

The new Olympus 350 dslr can display a live image but uses a seperate ccd to do it.

HTH

flo

floricicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:22 AM   #3

:blah::blah:Flo, Thanks a bundle for your answer. I would much rather use the optical viewfinder, but I thought it strange that the LCD was not displaying anything. I'll check my settings the first chance I get and see if I can come up with the B&W display for 30 seconds.:shock::shock:
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:36 PM   #4

A real pro rarely needs to preview a photo, his professional knowledge makes him aware he has captured a great photo. Remember film photography? When shooting a wedding, there is no time to review each photo until after the shoot.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:44 PM   #5

Ross, I guess I'm trying to be a real pro, so I need all the help I can get. LOL. People have said that the S3 viewfinder is a little on the small size, and I agree with them. I have no real problem with not having the LCD display. I just thought it was strange that it didn't have one that's so traditional on most every other digital camera.

Here's a shot from last night, but it's from my Oly 8080WZ, which is another good imagemaker. Enjoy, and thanks for the responses.
Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2006, 6:48 PM   #6

Glad you are getting to grips with your s3....it is a real probeast after a Olympus 8080 tho.

PS..don't get TOO carried away with those fancy free borders will you??.

Note how the inner one has amputated the chaps finger!....ouch!

I have had a quick look at your on-line gallery and enjoyed a lot of your images, even though some were a leetle bit over manipulated for my taste......each to his own tho...thats the joy of creative photography.

Sometimes less is more.

Keep em coming and have fun!

flo

floricicia is offline   Reply With Quote