Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm X-Series

Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:25 AM   #11

Hey, Leicas are fantastic. But I think once one decides that's what they're after, nothing else will do.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:28 AM   #12

LOL, no I want an leica S, but there is no way I would buy one. I will settle for a canon 5dmkiii instead.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:10 AM   #13

Hey... it looks like the word from Photokina is that the Fuji X100 will run about $1000 in the U.S. and 1000 euros in Europe. Sure, we'd all love it to be $750-$800... but at a grand it looks like a serious contender again.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Super Moderator

I will be getting one. No question about it. Well actually the question is when I am able to afford it, hopefully as soon as it is released. :-)
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:22 PM   #15
Super Moderator

UK price 1020 inc. VAT. I will be putting my name down tomorrow plus deposit.

I can't wait for it to arrive!

There will undoubtedly be long waiting lists. Fuji know their markets.

Last edited by peripatetic; Jan 23, 2011 at 5:26 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:18 AM   #16
Administrator

It's a very interesting camera, and I love the pages they have setup marketing it, showing the thought that went into it's design. Their marketing team deserves a big round of applause for sure. Ditto for the camera's design team.

http://www.finepix-x100.com/

I'd still rather it had interchangeable lenses, though. ;-)

The sensor is also a big question mark in my mind. We'll have to wait and see how it performs. Their marketing indicates that they "customized" an APS-C size sensor for it. So, I'm wondering if it's a customized version of an existing Sony 12MP sensor, one from another manufacturer, or designed from scratch by Fuji.

But, from all outward indications, Fuji has a winner on it's hands from what I can see of the product and the interest being displayed for it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:00 AM   #17
Super Moderator

The rangefinder crowd (admittedly a comparatively small market) has been going gaga on the forums since Photokina.

Less than a day after it was announced the main thread on rangefinderforum.com was running at something like 60 pages. There have been dozens more threads since.

Fuji claim a few reasons why they decided not to make it with interchangeable lenses. And a couple more can be inferred.

1. They can actually put part of the lens into the body cavity, thereby keeping overall size down.
2. They can seal it against dust, etc.
3. They can optimise the lens for the sensor.

We can infer that they know that there is a strong market for fixed-lens cameras, precisely because cameras like their own Fuji GF670 a.k.a. Voigtlander Bessa III have done incredibly well, surpassing all their expectations and indeed with supply still not matching demand. Also the Japanese domestic market is still very interested in film, rangefinders and "traditional" cameras, it manages to be ultra-modern and very retro at the same time.

Also for rangefinder cameras with a 12Mp 35mm equivalent, you can probably crop to around an 8Mp 50mm equivalent. Those two focal lengths cover 90%+ of the RF focal length usage. Sure RF users may own 2 or 3 focal lengths, but it is actually fairly common to find people who have say 10 lenses: 1x28mm, 1x50mm, 8x35mm. That's right - eight different 35mm lenses! Because that's the focal length they like to use on a RF camera.

I'm pretty sure Fuji felt that they could make this camera profitable selling into the Japanese market only, the rest of the world being a possible bonus, but as with the GF670 before it, there is a small but somewhat fanatical RF market everywhere in the world.

These cameras are not going to make any kind of dent in the overall market shares, and the numbers they sell will be trivial compared to DSLRs. But it's certainly going to sell, and possibly the demand will be big enough to give everyone pause.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:17 AM   #18
Administrator

I'd love to have one.

My first "serious" camera was an old Canon Rangefinder my father gave me many years ago, wearing a Canon Serenar 50mm f/1.9 (collapsible type). I've still got it (along with an external flash that uses bulbs, a light meter, and more).

So, having something similar with today's digital technology is appealing to me.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:54 AM   #19

In Australia the X100 cost about $1299-a lot more than what, say the Fui E550 cost back here in 2004 ($699)
babya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:55 PM   #20
Super Moderator

It's a completely different type of camera aimed at a completely different market.

So I'm confused about what point you're making.