Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm X-Series

Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:53 PM   #1

Default Fujifilm FinePix X100 - Oh, Momma!

If you're a rangefinder fan, check out this just-announced Fuji camera. Who needs a Leica X1?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...jifilmx100.asp

No price mentioned yet. But similarly-speced (minus the trick viewfinder) Leica X1 is $2,000 U.S. Anything under $1,000 could be considered a steal.

Edit: Here's Fuji's home page for the new camera:

http://www.finepix-x100.com/

Last edited by Biro; Sep 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:40 PM   #2

I does look interesting, but to bad it is a fixed lens. It would be cool, if it was an interchangeable lenses. But if they had given it a 3x zoom. I would seriously consider it.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:19 PM   #3

Okay, what do you categorize this camera as. It is not a point and shoot, as it give you full manual control. With lens mounted aperture control, and dial control shutter speed and ev. I is not a EVIL as it is a fixed lens. But it is way more then any bridge or point and shoot.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:48 AM   #4

I love it. An APS-C size EXR sensor with a fast prime lens. Its like Fujifilm's engineers were given the same latitude that Konica gave their engineers when they made the Hexar AF. There must be some nervous people at Leica Camera.
AldPixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Okay, what do you categorize this camera as. It is not a point and shoot, as it give you full manual control. With lens mounted aperture control, and dial control shutter speed and ev. I is not a EVIL as it is a fixed lens. But it is way more then any bridge or point and shoot.
Isn't it already categorized as an enthusiast compact? It could be point and shoot, with added manual controls for whenever that is needed.
camvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:32 PM   #6

It looks real nice. However, I agree with shoturtle that it would be a definite winner if it offered interchangeable lenses. The 23mm fixed lens makes the camera very limiting in terms of its FL capability.

But on the positive side, Fuji chose to simplify the access to popular features by allocating them to dedicated buttons. The ded RAW button is one of them. I also like the flippers on the aperture ring. The LCD is not the today's 3" standard but at least it's hi-res (better than the EPL1).

I believe the two factors that will play a big role on the success (or not) of this camera, are: IQ and price. If IQ is excellent, price may not be a deterrent. But if IQ is only average, then the cost will dictate its acceptance.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:33 PM   #7
Super Moderator

early rumors (just rumors) put it at 1400-1500USD. much more than I was expecting.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:29 PM   #8

At this price...I think the camera is already dead before it has been born! If it had interchangeable lens capability it would be a different story.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
At this price...I think the camera is already dead before it has been born! If it had interchangeable lens capability it would be a different story.
You might be right about this. Even at a grand U.S. it could be called a good deal. At $1400-$1500 it can only be considered a good deal compared with the Leica X1. But the typical X1 buyer is very likely to be chasing the red dot and not concerned about saving a few hundred dollars.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:17 PM   #10

Hey,

I have a red dot camera in the family. They actually are very good film cameras, and very good digital also.