Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Fujifilm X-Series

Closed Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:03 PM   #1

Default DPREVIEW and PRSTL2

So if you traveled to a certain area or State in the US and posted images to the forum. If you answered back with hey locally you can check XYZ camera store if you needed something. Then the forum mod just deletes a post no reason and then you ask on the forum why did you delete the post it was just an FYI to help another photographer.
Then the mod PRSTL2 from the Fuji X forum @ DPREVIEW says you are forbidden to question the Mod on the forum you have been warned. In the same breath you try to apologize only to find you got banned forever not even able to send a personal message for a first time. The post was not offensive, no bad language, no attacking anyone. Then you try to contact the DPREVEW site to plead your case like its the Supreme Court or something but they never respond. So if anyone wants to post at DPREVIEW in the Fuji X forum and copy this, since I can not. Tell PRSTL2 forum mod sorry, but some professionalism would have been mature. You don't call someone out who was trying to ask what happened, no email to say sorry I just edited your post because PRSTL2 at the Fuji X Dpreview site did leave part of it just removed the camera store where I got gear, people talk about Adorama and B&H all the time. So my point is some overseeing should be done to the mod and not be given cart blanche autonomy because this probably happens all the time. Basically here is the warning never do that again or you get banned and 60 sec. later they hit the kill switch and your done. If they re-instate me great, if not same neg Karma back to PRSTL2 at the DPREVIEW Fuji X forum. The executives at DPREVIEW need to audit PRSTL2 Fuji X forum moderator. I hope this makes his way to him or her. I did nothing wrong, it is not habitual like this mod said with a point of a finger. If I could call someone to talk at DPREVIEW one on one, and heck you can't even call or email anyone directly. Its a general mailbox you have to guess at the subject, its not good in that respect. I apologize for trying to find a platform to talk, but suggest a better way. Yes, this may be preaching to the choir, but one needs to feel someone hears the other side of the story it is not one way.

No disrespect, but someone there needs to review this case at DPREVIEW, case 170411 so you know this post is legit.

DPREVIEW:Notes from the moderator: Member has been warned not to mention moderator actions and he continues to do so after warnings. IT was one warning (this was it) one email after I asked why PRSTL2. One email saying I was warned but was not. It was here your warned now your banned. My word against yours in the DPreview mind.

Last edited by TheDoctorWhat; Jun 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:16 AM   #2

I was temporarily banned by "PRSTL2". That moderator literally lied about what happened.
I was discussing how the A3000 affects current Alpha SLT owners.
That apparently wasn't liked, because this moderator wanted that people discuss that in the NEX forum. I then tried to explain why I thought this ought to be discussed in the Alpha forum. I got a warning that I argued about moderation 2 out 3 times - 1 more till you're out. So that's lie #1.
This is the message that I got:
------
Read our rules any discussion about moderator actions will be deleted. You are now two for three one more outburst in any forum about moderator actions and you will be taking a short vacation from DPR.

Clear?
-----
Pretty rude I think.

I started a topic: SLT = E + LA-EA2
The purpose was to see if Alpha SLT users would be content if Sony were to drop SLT and only offer mirrorless in E-mount only. And to continue to use their lenses they could use this adapter. It effectively turns an NEX (or A3000) into an SLT camera, except for lack of stabilizer. I was also hoping to see what the effect really was not having a stabilizer.

People were responding and constructive discussions were starting to form.
Then responding to one user, there was an error. That post was deleted. First I thought the entire thread. But only that one member's message. 5 minutes later, the entire thread disappeared. I anticipated a ban, so I quickly send a message to the other moderator for that forum, simply asking that this thread is not inappropriate and that perhaps something was not working right on their site or something. I also quickly send a few private messages to a few other message that I anticipated getting banned, because there is a very cranky moderator that is abusing his power.

Then the ban from "PRSTL2":
-----
Notice of Temporary Ban

This is a notification that you have been temporarily banned from dpreview.com, details of the reason for this ban are shown below.
You will not receive another notification when the ban has lapsed, it will simply expire after the period shown below.

Ban period: 7 days

Notes from the moderator: This user has created 2 posts and 1 thread in retaliation to a Moderator announcement.

One of his posts was off topic, un-civil and discussing moderator actions in the forum.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52066029

This user was warned, advised to read the rules. He then created a thread that contained unnecessary veiled verbiage to further complain about moderator actions.

Issuing first temp ban as user was warned and he elected to ignore a formal warning.

Incident ID: 178820

To contest this decision, please send a feedback via http://www.dpreview.com/members/feedback?to=feedback.
-----

So I was being accused of retaliating. That's absurd. I was not talking about the forbidden subject, the A3000. I was talking about the SLT and how we can continue to enjoy SLT features on E-mount cameras. What's wrong with that. The moderator was very cranky, clearly abusing his power.
He also accused me of being un-civil. That's absurd. The only one that is being uncivil is PRSTL2, that "moderator".
Plus then "unnecessary veiled verbiage". What does that even mean? This is just really weird.
I explained this in full detail, and how PRSTL2 is abusing his powers and is not reflecting the general spirit of DPreview, and that *HE* needs to be moderated. Naturally, no response, no action.

I feel abused, lied to, mistreated, and all the rest of it. I'm literally insulted.
I have probably 1000s of messages talking about various things like lenses, working through details, focus systems, camera future, sharpness, bokeh, tons of photo stuff.
I'm not uncivil. Opinionated, yes, but I do not insult people.
I also do not feel I have been breaking any rules.

It was nice getting to know various people on DPreview. Sony Amateur makes amazing trips and with his A99 camera makes breathtaking artistic shots. Canadian Club (did I get his name right) in Windsor I think, always makes nice light headed comments and creates interesting shots. He is into small private airplanes I think. There was some arguing now and then about focus systems. Theswede I didn't get along with so well - but that's allright. I did appreciate his comments and I did learn things, even though we still have fundamental disagreements.
Al was fun. And a few others. People were even sending me messages how they liked the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 case and bought it themselves. It was a fun community, can keep you busy for hours.

But now I feel that I was rejected by this family by one lousy abusive moderator, just because he doesn't like me or is very cranky.
After this "ban" is over, I'm not sure I want to be back. Seeing "moderators" with their little labels mingle makes me very uncomfortable now, knowing that some of them get on these power trips, like a trigger happy bad cop. Constantly being watched by these people... It's like stalking.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Administrator

Mike12:

I can appreciate your concerns about moderator behavior. But, complaining about moderator decisions in public forums is going to be frowned upon by most forums, including here at Steve's.

Also, the forums here at Steve's are not meant to be a platform for disagreements with other forums.

Frankly, I personally frown on members using public forums to express disagreement with moderator decisions anyway.

That tends to cause fights between members and makes it more difficult for moderators to do their job, as it diminishes their ability to "keep the peace" if their decisions are questioned openly, since it can lead to dissension that diminishes their authority. Private Forums are not a democracy, and the web site owners can set restrictions on what they consider to be appropriate behavior by the members that post in them.

Judgement calls made by moderators are often difficult, and if you disagree with one, IMO you should take it up in private with the site admin (not arguing in public, or posting on another forum to promote your viewpoint). I'm familiar with threads there on this subject (as I frequent the forums there on a regular basis), and I don't necessarily approve of the idea of moving A3000 related posts to their NEX forum. IOW, I didn't like it either.

But, I'd also take exception to arguing with those moderator decisions in a public forum.

Please keep in mind that forums at sites like dpreview.com are privately owned, not your own personal web site. So, they have a right to set rules and make decisions about what they want to allow or not allow to be posted, and what forums they should be posted in.

I'll allow your post on the subject this time. But, in the future, please do not use our forums as a platform to voice disagreement with how another forum is conducting business.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 4:46 PM   #4

Default Bad experience with that moderator too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike12 View Post
I was temporarily banned by "PRSTL2". That moderator literally lied about what happened.
Wow! The same moderator just banned me, and he lied repeatedly in the justification he wrote.

I just googled "dpreview moderation" and ended up here. Imagine my surprise when I saw his screen name. I don't doubt that he has other victims, but there's little mechanism at that site to protest. I sent the admins a detailed refutation of his "charges", but they have not responded.

Last edited by TJCh; Sep 15, 2013 at 9:52 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 4:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Mike12:

I can appreciate your concerns about moderator behavior. But, complaining about moderator decisions in public forums is going to be frowned upon by most forums, including here at Steve's.

Also, the forums here at Steve's are not meant to be a platform for disagreements with other forums.

Frankly, I personally frown on members using public forums to express disagreement with moderator decisions anyway.

That tends to cause fights between members and makes it more difficult for moderators to do their job, as it diminishes their ability to "keep the peace" if their decisions are questioned openly, since it can lead to dissension that diminishes their authority. Private Forums are not a democracy, and the web site owners can set restrictions on what they consider to be appropriate behavior by the members that post in them.

Judgement calls made by moderators are often difficult, and if you disagree with one, IMO you should take it up in private with the site admin (not arguing in public, or posting on another forum to promote your viewpoint). I'm familiar with threads there on this subject (as I frequent the forums there on a regular basis), and I don't necessarily approve of the idea of moving A3000 related posts to their NEX forum. IOW, I didn't like it either.

But, I'd also take exception to arguing with those moderator decisions in a public forum.

Please keep in mind that forums at sites like dpreview.com are privately owned, not your own personal web site. So, they have a right to set rules and make decisions about what they want to allow or not allow to be posted, and what forums they should be posted in.

I'll allow your post on the subject this time. But, in the future, please do not use our forums as a platform to voice disagreement with how another forum is conducting business.
Jim, I posted my other reply before reading your request that disagreements with other forums not be posted here. Sorry.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:59 PM   #6

Default PRSTL2 you need to see this (with respect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCh View Post
Wow! The same moderator just banned me, and he lied repeatedly in the justification he wrote.

I just googled "dpreview moderation" and ended up here. Imagine my surprise when I saw his screen name. I don't doubt that he has other victims, but there's little mechanism at that site to protest. I sent the admins a detailed refutation of his "charges", but they have not responded.
First, forget it. DPREVIEW will leave you in a ditch to rot. You will never hear anything from anyone.

Don't waste your time. Two issues with DPREVIEW and this specific Mod. One DPREVIEW does not have or seem to have a physical location so you can not pick up and make a call to try and explain your side.

Stopping here, I have nothing to do with these other posters. My very frustrating problem was explained in my thread.

OK

The reason is I wanted to ask PRSTL2 why on a first offensive I was permanently banned. By the time He did his thing shutting me off and I tried to ask Why and say Sorry it was a split second I was locked out. Done Deal.

The problem with DPREVIEW is their is no response to email if you try to get your case heard call it your side heard with who ever is in charge over the moderators, nothing, like a ghost town.

What happens is you get a automated email saying to the effect if you want to question this ban contact DPREVIEW via email only.

The PROBLEM and that is in caps not to shout but to say this is a REAL problem, is they give you a drop down box that is topically pre-filled BUT has nothing to do with getting this resolved with the moderator.

Nothing obvious, no phone number to call, no contacting the moderator (s) directly. Your cut off like a bad disease. This is a first time for me by the way this whole mess.

To the Forum (Worldwide) this is what a dictator is like. You question thats it You can not say I am sorry and I am sorry for just asking a question about what the Mod PRSTL2 did and then getting "donald trump" your fired, but you can not make a case or give an explanation to any authority or any real person.

I will also say DPREVIEW is a really great source, great place. That said,

In my experience PRSTL2 is a bad Apple, makes that site look bad and it is not just the Fuji forum as we can see and for all we know its the President's snot nose nephew they gave a kill switch to.

This is exactly like trying to fight city hall.

Just avoid PRSTL2 and the forum he moderates. If you do brave it keep it like the room is bugged and at any moment the "clean up team" is called in to dispose of the member.

Again, with respect, PRSTL2 needs to see the complaints. DPREVIEW should do an internal investigation and audit who they hire or this happens. It is not DPREVIEW as much as it is this moderator.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:40 PM   #7

You seem to be laboring under 2 misconceptions:
1) that the forums you visit are part of an open democracy -they aren't - they are privately operated, and the operators set the rules.
2) that your opinions are so valuable that everyone needs to hear them - they aren't - we don't.
If you have something relevant to discuss regarding cameras and photography, please do so in the appropriate board.

brian
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Administrator

Perhaps you guys missed my previous post on the subject. But, we don't want the forums here at Steve's being used as a platform for discussing disagreements with other forums.

Perhaps I should have been more blunt about the subject, as Brian (VTphotog) has done, as he's absolutely right.

To the rest of you posting in this thread, please do not use the forums here at Steve's to discuss this subject again.

This thread is now closed.

Closed Thread