Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:31 AM   #1

Hi all

Im after some advice with some photos i took which have comne out too dark

At the weekendI went to an Airshow, the weather was very grim in the most part, quite cloudy.

I had my camera set as follows,

High speed shooting was turne don to try and focus quicker, which in general worked.

Aperture priority mode, aperture set to F8 to try and help get sharp pics of planes whizzing past.

ISO set to 200, to ensure i could use fast shutter speeds, through the EVF , shutter speed was normally aroound the 1/1000 area

Exposure was set to normal with no over and under compensation.

White Balance was set to shade, as the clouds did part from time to time

The problem isthis. Nearly every shot i took looked underexposed. All shots seemed dark, and the shots i did get were mainly sillhoettes of planes against a very dark sky.

The only thing i noticed that was different was i had left the light metering mode set to average.

I have been using the 9500 since last november and have had no real problems with it, until yesterday. I will try to post some sample pics to show you what i mean, but i would appreciate if anyone out ther knows if the problem i encountered was caused purely by the light metering mode?

Many thanks

Goth

:roll:

gothiquity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:07 AM   #2

Hi gothiquity, I get the same issues with mine and sometimes find that changing the metering mode to spot resolves this.

It could also be that the camera mas metering against a white (overcast) sky, maybe this is why your pic's came out too dark.

I was at a rather cloudy Chester Zoo last week and was getting the very same thing on A priority, on checking my pic's when I got home i found that the better ones were pictures that i took on manual mode.

I do find though that the 9500 tends to underexpose pictures easily on overcast days.

I'd admit that I'm no expert but just my pence worth anyway.

mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:24 AM   #3

Thanks for that mansell, glad to know its probably average light metering that caused the issue, will upload some sample pics
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:27 AM   #4

mustang at the airshow, pic is quite dark and also noticibly grainy .
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:29 AM   #5

another shot taken later the same day once the british sun had graced us with its presence. This shot is exposed fine i think

Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:48 PM   #6

I love the 2nd pic, the only thing I can say is keep experimenting, I've taken over 1300 pics now and I'm still trying to get to know my 9500.

I also found this book a great help

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understandin...F8&s=books

mansell is offline   Reply With Quote