Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 29, 2003, 4:12 AM   #1

Default Digital Dynamic Range Experiments

I performed a series of reallife Dynamic Range Tests. Check it out

http://www.popphoto.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=16891&sessionID={F185FBE5-4E0B-40AA-B19F-72C016BD5F20}
BigRed450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2003, 10:59 AM   #2

BigRed450....Thanks for this. Actually for a while now I've been closely looking at histograms, post shot. What I find unfortunate about the 602, is they didn't feed, say a 5% 255 level highlight warning to the EVF. Some lucky people can see histogram display during composition. I just wish the 602 had this.

Unfortunately, measuring dynamic range (or headroom in this case) is one thing, but extending it is another. The best we can do at the moment is expose for highlights not exceeding the limit of 250-254 for minimum noise.

Presumambly you've heard of the trick to take 2 pics (assuming nothing moves!) 1 exposed for shadow, 2nd for high light and then overlay? I think this is done through the multi-shot exposure bracketing function.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 8:48 PM   #3

Hello Vox ....
Yes, I have actually tried the double exposure method and it does quite well. It is very time consuming though. In most cases, I have found that shadow detail can be recovered using curves in PS.
BigRed450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 5:40 AM   #4

Hi BigRed.... this is similar and cheaper to the approach using 2 sensors in the new Fuji cams. I remain to be convinced though.

There's also another issue here with the inbuilt 12bit RAW to 8Bit JPEG processing done in the cam. I think this is why users of cams with RAW output, prefer to do all their own processing, post shot.

The problem of headroom in pics, just reminds me of similar problems in 16-24 bit digital audio. Remember if you rip a cd, the programme scans the source disc for the highest digital value, and scales the digital range on the copy for best S/N? We're probably stuck with the range of current sensors. But hey, look what's happening to plasma panels. They started at 300:1 contrast, and are now over 1000:1.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote