Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 9, 2006, 7:46 AM   #1

Hello all. Have had a Fuji F6800 for the last few years which I have loved. However of late it has started playing up with it regularly struggling to read memory cards and also failing on a number of occasions for the lenses to come out.

Really like Fuji so have looked at the E900, but almost now decided on a S9500 as I had always wanted better zoom. Almost ready to buy it after seeing some reviews, but then noticed some issues being reported on various sites about quality problems. Now I see that there is a S9600 on the way, and I am more confused than ever. Any help would be greatly appreciated
humfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2006, 6:37 PM   #2

Hi,

I have the S7000, and I decided to get the S9500. Well, I got it but I was never very happy with it (and I have 33 years photographic experience). I usually took shots using RAW as I found I got better results. I even sent some example shots to Fuji UK and they said that they were okay, in fact I personally thought that one of them was the worst shot I had taken with the S9500. I take photos of aircraft at airshows, but the S9500 is very poor at that sort of photography. I did get some good shots with the 9500, but comparing the 9500 with the 7000, I think that the 7000 takes a better photo. Anyway, I sold the S9500 and bought a Nikon D50 and the photo quality is much better, obviously with a d-slr. This is my personal opinion, it is not intended to put anyone off buying a S9500. Admittedly, the worst photos I took with the S9500 were actually at airshows.

Regards

Martin
Mr.Jingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 6:44 PM   #3

Have you ever replaced the battery on the F6800? Those recharchables don't last forever, you do need to replace them every couple of years. Just a thought.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:14 AM   #4

Hi Humfer,

There was a huge rumpus over the S9500 when it first came out, mainly because Fuji made the claim that it would rival a basic DSLR set. That was an exaggeration, but it was taken to heart by every DSLR owner with an opinion! :?Hence the S9500 was slated when it first came out. Add to that mess the usual teething problems* of a new product, some severe user misunderstanding and yes there have been many bad reports on different sites.

All that shouldn't take away from what is a quality camera.

The S9500 is a great camera. It's a lot more complex then a P&S, but it offers a lot more scope then one too. I don't know your camera experience, so I will mention that to those that have only used P&S's there is a steep learning curve. But with a bit of practice you'll find that the S9500 produces excellent results.

* Buttons breaking and the like!!! :shock:

kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:56 PM   #5

In my opinion, Fuji cameras are cheaply built and cannot be relied upon for any serious use. The USB port fell inside my S9000. After waiting about 2 1/2 months to get it repaired, Fuji simply told me the USB port was broken (I already knew that) and that it is not a warranty repair. They haven't given me a repair estimate, they haven't offered to repair it, and they won't stand behind their shoddy workmanship. Do yourself a favor and consider something other than a Fuji camera. I am disgusted and will never recommend Fuji again.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:34 AM   #6

That's a bit harsh??

Most modern mass produced items are built in the cheapest way possible.
Loose tolerances and quick assembly are the way of modern industry.

Getting back to cameras, every brand has problems, look up a review of any SLR, DSLR or P&S and you'll find someone complaining about the plastic feel or cheap look of the model. It's just the way things are.

Jphess I'm sorry to hear that you had a shockingly bad experience, they should look after their customers better. But that's half the problem with multinationals, sometimes they are great to deal with, but in general they are woeful.
kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:57 AM   #7

jphess wrote:
Quote:
In my opinion, Fuji cameras are cheaply built and cannot be relied upon for any serious use. The USB port fell inside my S9000. After waiting about 2 1/2 months to get it repaired, Fuji simply told me the USB port was broken (I already knew that) and that it is not a warranty repair. They haven't given me a repair estimate, they haven't offered to repair it, and they won't stand behind their shoddy workmanship. Do yourself a favor and consider something other than a Fuji camera. I am disgusted and will never recommend Fuji again.
[align=left]How can it not be covered under warranty!, that's not right, is there anywhere you can go to complain?, it would be trading standards for us in the UK or the consumers association.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Also in the UK it's up to the retailer to honour manufacture's warranty so if my Camera broke I would go back to the store where I'd bought it.[/align]

mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:33 PM   #8

I purchased the camera from an online store. So there isn't going to be any real support from them. I have been corresponding with the Fuji service manager in New Jersey. I explained to him that I had not abused the camera, that I simply inserted a cable into the USB port and the port fell inside the camera. He replied that he was not accusing me of abusing the camera. But he said that since this was not a known "common" problem with the model it is not covered by the warranty. If that isn't a lame excuse, I don't know what is. The only offer they have made is that they will do the repair, which normally costs as much as $225, for $100 plus tax.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 1:05 PM   #9

jphess

I am very sorry to hear that you have had serious problems with your camera, I know you enjoyed it and got some great images with it. I must say that Fuji seems to have dissappointed many of their loyal customers with small but significant quality issues, not the least of which is parts that fall off (or in your case "in"). At this level of camera pricing you should be able to expect a well built product.

As you may already know I finally went with a DSLR (a Pentax *istDL that my wife surprized me with last christmas). I hope you can soon find a replacement for your Fuji, even a DSLR is coming down in price quickly. A Nikon D50, Pentax *istDL or the new Pentax K100D with shake reduction built in, are all selling for less than $600US right now, with a lens. If you need something longer the 28-200mm, 28-300mm and 18-200mm lenses can often be found at a bargain. I know that changing lenses is an issue for you but one of these old 28-200mm lenses can be found used for less than $100 and will give you a 42-300mm equivalent on the camera. Not the range of the Fuji but backed by a sturdier, more reliable camera.

Drop me a PM when you can.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 4:46 PM   #10

I'm gutted I didn't buy a DSLR, I could have bought a D50 for the same price that i paid for my 9500 + 1GB CF.

But by the time I'd realised it was too late for me to send the Fuji back, my next Camera will be a DLSR though, that's for sure.
mansell is offline   Reply With Quote