Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:56 AM   #11

About eight years ago I purchased a Pentax film SLR camera. At that time I purchased a Quantaray 7500-A external flash with a Pentax dedicated module. That model still appears to be a current model at Ritz Camera, but it does not have a standard auto module available for it. But in looking at the module, it indicated that there was a setting that works for TTL or auto flash, and that is how I have used it. I think it works quite well. I use an f/stop of 6.4 or 7.1 for outdoor flash fill with ISO 100.

I cannot recommend the flash. I don't have anything negative to say about it either. When I have used it, it has given good results. But I just got my camera back from repair and haven't taken the opportunity to work with the flash since I got it back. I had planned to use it on a wedding, but the camera was still in repair so I missed the opportunity to use it like I had planned to.

My suggestion would be for you to just go to a decent camera store and ask for a standard automatic flash and see what they recommend. If you think their prices are too high, after you have found a model you like, just go home and do some Internet shopping. Some people have said they really like the Sunpak 383. I think it has a guide number of 120/ISO 100. So it's a little more powerful than my unit.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:56 PM   #12

Jphess: Thanks for the information. I just bought a Quantaray QBSZ-370 flash today, it works fine on A S M P modes, but does'nt work on Auto mode, no flash at all in Auto Mode. I just insert this flash into the hot shoe of S9000 and set the external flash to ON. I've also tried to use included trigger cable and still have the same result. Do you have any trick that can make this flash works on the Auto Mode?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks again.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:00 AM   #13

According to the manual (page 72), you can use an external flash in the P, S, A, & M modes. As you can see, auto is not one of the options. I think that is probably by design because of the fact that the camera does not have TTL flash exposure control so there is no mechanism for coordinating the flash with automatic exposure.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:00 AM   #14

Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:29 AM   #15

The external flash does solve all the problems that I had with the internal flash.

I did not like my S9000 when I just bought, but I like it more and more after more learning and more practicing and more visiting to this great forum.

Thanks to everyone here.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:30 AM   #16

Yes. Unfortunately, the 9000/9500 is not a P&S camera. In fact, it seems to be a little more challenging than some other models. I drove to a nearby canyon yesterday because all the news reports said that the leaves were changing colors. Well, that's true, but only in isolated spots so far. So I wasn't able to get any sweeping landscapes. But I did get a few close-up/isolated photos that I liked more for the clarity and the color than I did the composition. I have left all of my color and contrast and sharpness settings set to normal, so I routinely use some Photoshop actions to process my images. A lot of people complain about the quality of the images from the 9000/9500. But I was really happy with the overall quality of what I got yesterday. None of them are good enough to share here as far as composition is concerned. But I really think that if someone is willing to take the time to understand the camera and apply a little work on their images, they will find that this is an excellent camera capable of producing wonderful images.

I apologize, this wasn't anything aboutf lash photography. Just a general observation about the camera.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 5:39 PM   #17

Fully agree with JPHess regarding the quality of images with this camera.

Colours will be changing here soon. Great time to shoot pics.

As for external flashes, I'm using the Sunpak AutoZoom 3000 that I used for my film cameras. Good results so far.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote