Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:15 AM   #1

Hi! Will any one in this forum know how to correct the problems I have when I use the internal flash on S9000?

First, I use the Auto mode to take a picture with flash,I record all the information, for example: ISO 400, F3.6, 1/125", then I use the A mode and set to F3.6, ISO 400, the shuter speed automatically adjusted to 1/125, but the picture is a lot darker then the one with Auto mode.

Second, after I took the picture with flash in Auto mode and record all the information, then I use the flash diffuser to cover the flash to make the light softer, the picture of this is little darker, but the settings are exactly the same as before, the question is, why did the S9000 not automatically adjust the camera to make the picture brighter?

Third, I use the M mode and set everything the same as the in Auto mode, the picture is still darker compare with Auto mode.

Is my S9000 has problem? or I did something incorrectly? If I send it to Fuji, do you think they can fix it?

Thanks a lot!

LSIFS
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:08 AM   #2

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16

The S9000 adjusts the flash intensity based on the amount of light getting back to the camera. There is some difference depending on the exposure mode (spot, average, both) and camera mode (A, P, S, M) but not much. I'm surprised more people haven't noticed this annoying behavior with the internal flash. It's amazing how different nearly identical shots can be depending on exactly where you aim the camera. I've decided that the only way to get consistant shots with a flash is to use an external flash. I've had many "one time" shots underexposed with the internal flash and havetried all kinds of tricks to get it to work right but finally decided to go "external".
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:23 PM   #3

I just spoke with a Tech Rep from Fuji, and he said that if I set the flash compensation to +2/3 it will make the flash fire at full intensity, regardlaess of any exposure measurement the camera makes. I'll try it tonight and let folks know if this is the solution.

(Edited Tue. May 16): I tried the +2/3 flash compensation as suggested by the Fuji Rep and the results were the same: point in one place -> way underexposed, move a little to the left -> "proper" exposure. Seems the Tech Rep was blowing air out his A$$. Will call back today to get more "Technical A$$istance".

Thanks Wolverine, can you tell me how to set the flash compensation? It is not on the setup menu.

LSIFS
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:00 PM   #4

I never updated the original thread, but even after setting the flash compensation to +2/3 I got the same result. The flash DID NOT fire at full intensity, but did give a brighter picture, still different depending on where the camera was pointed in my "test shots"

My camera is in the shop now (for the second time), but when I get it back I'll run more tests and post the results in the original thread. I'm not sure how to set the compensation for flash, but I know it's in the manual somewhere. Sounds like you got the same tech rep I did, who doesn't know the true story with this camera.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:30 PM   #5

This baffles me too. I don't seem to get consistant shots with the built in flash.
Some come off just right, but there are quite a few underexposed.
Edster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 4:25 AM   #6

I ran some tests the other night on my S9500, changing the flash levels made no difference to me but from memory changing the metering did!

Take some pics in Spot metering and some in Average metering, I'm sure this will resolve your problem. When I get home from work I'll try it again tonight, but I'm sure this is what I did.

hope this helps
mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:58 AM   #7

If you look at the thread referenced above, changing the metering mode did change things a bit, but still did not gove consistant results. I've decided to use an external flash, with the camera in manual mode, to get consistant results. I have an old Vivitar flash that I can use in manual mode or automatic mode (on the flash). When using the flash in Auto mode, I set the aperture to the specified value (f 4 or f 5.6) and the shutter speed to 1/250 or 1/500 sec. The flash itself modulates its intensity based on the amount of reflected light it "sees". With the flash in manual mode, I use a guide number of 80 for ISO 100 (or ISO 80) and set the aperture depending on the distance to the main subject in the scene. I have gotten much more reliable results this way. I had a lot of photos underexposed by using the internal flash, and rarely use it at all any more.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 2:18 AM   #8

When I covered the internal flash with the soft diffuser, the S9000 should detect less light and make adjustment automatically (in Auto Mode), but it didn't, therefore the picture is darker compare to without the soft diffuser. Is this normal on other camera or the S9000 has problem?

I want to buy an external flash for my S9000 using the hot shoe, can anyone tell me which model should I buy? I don't think the store still cary some old model.

Thanks
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:36 AM   #9

Making such an adjustment is asking quite a bit from a camera like the S9000. Flash duration from any flash is typically 1/10,000 of a second. I don't think this camera can make an exposure adjustment that quickly. I find that it is best to use the internal flash with the camera set to the auto mode. If I'm going to do any serious flash photography I will turn to the external flash.

The S9000 is not a professional camera. It has some nice features, but it will never perform like even an entry-level digital SLR. The best thing I think you can do is learn what the camera WILL do, and then adjust your shooting style accordingly. The internal flash is just not very sophisticated.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:34 PM   #10

jphess:

What external flash you use for the S9000? Can you give me exact Model and Brand? Do you put your external flash in the hot shoe or use the trigger cable?

Thanks