Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:06 PM   #11

bill soper wrote:
Quote:
Now using the s7raw processor the ~19M shots goes to ~52M. Not sure on this, some one help me out, but I believe the pic is now channelized for each primary colour. The rez of the pic holds as expected for a RAW pic and when compared to the 9F shot, it has finer detail.
You are correct. Each pixel in the raw file takes 3 bytes in 8-bit color, so 19 x 3 = 57. The reason that a 9 Mpixel camera gives 18 Mb raw files has to do with the way that the sensor dataare saved. In the Fuji Super CCD, the pixels are arranged like a stack of cannonballs with each row of pixels placed halfway (horizontally) between those above and below. When the conversion from the sensor to the raw file is made, each pixel in the two adjacent rows is placed into a separate column and the empty spaces are interpolated.

I think it goes like this:

* * * * * * on the sensor

goes to this in the RAW file

*x*x*x*x*x*
x*x*x*x*x*x

where the *'s are sensor pixels and the x'sare the interpolated pixels that are written to the RAW file.
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:24 PM   #12

jphess wrote:
Quote:
In reality, you probably won't even be able to see much difference on your monitor. It takes large prints (8x10 or larger) to really start to appreciate the benefit of shooting in raw.

Yikes.... I see the rez difference whenI zoom in. (using 1280x1024 PC monitor rez) The colour push (shift) and rez differences are noticeable and if large prints are the end result... shoot RAW and convert with something other than the FujiFinePix converter.....

Man your monitor must be really low rez.....:? Hope you find the money to upgrade as digital photography is here to stay:-)
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:37 PM   #13

I guess I should have qualified my statement a little more. At "normal" viewing magnification you probably won't see much difference. If you are a pixel peeper and enjoy scrutinizing your images, and want to drive yourself insane,. then you will be able to see a difference. But it still isn't going to be real obvious until you decide to print some enlargements. My monitor really isn't that bad. That was kind of a lame observation, in my opinion.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:40 PM   #14

Exactly... unless you are blowing these up.... not the camera... althoughhhhh..... you will not see the difference on a 4x6. Well except for the colour push. I was surprised to see that.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote