Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:18 AM   #21

ISO 80
Attached Images

Tom 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:18 AM   #22

ISO 100
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:21 AM   #23

ISO 200
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:22 AM   #24

ISO 400
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:22 AM   #25

ISO 800
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:23 AM   #26

ISO 1600
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:38 PM   #27

W00t W00t I just got my camera today. Picked it up from Sears Catalog in London, ON Canada. Pre-Ordered it 9/22

I had bought the S9000 from Sears catalog (website)just 3 weeks prior to ordering this one and coincidentally hadn't opened the packaging and returned it when I saw this was coming.Am I ever glad I didn't open it after seeing the S9100s arrival. It has 2 years worth of technology improvements under the hood since the 2004 release of the S9000.

Twice the number of pixels (235,000) alone on the LCD as its predecessor is reason enough to get it, coupled with the IFlash and better RAW support. It putsthis cameraback in the same league with other point and shoot LCDs. Probably not worth the upgrade if you already own the S9000 though just from what I've been reading.

Sears regularprice$699 isgood starting price (less than the S9000).

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000H...odeid=16358381
jsauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:29 PM   #28

I justbought the S9100 and while everything seems to be going fine in general, there are two features missing and one is mind-boggling.

1) No user setup memory. However, the camera remembers what settings you had when turning it off and on again, including grid on LCD, exposure compensation, etc.. OK fine.

2) No options on compression quality for any pixel counts except maximum. This is a serious surpriseand is unique amongst digital cameras that I know of. I haven't yet figured out where Fuji preset JPEG, between 1 and 10, but I know it's not 10. I'm seeing some JPEG artifacting, but until I fully review the test photos I won't know how bad it is. I suspect the compression is a medium range. But NO CHOICE? Bizarre situation! This is a bad direction to take any camera. What if I want to do medium pixel count panoramas for a high quality website pano? I'm stuck with the compression at about 6? Put choice back in the menu. Geesh!

If anyone can find where to set compression, let me know. I can't find it in the manual or in the camera anywhere and I've searched both very carefully.
Robert Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:13 PM   #29

Review of my image tests:

VERY IMPRESSIVE! While you can't adjust the JPEG compression in the S9100, the tests used taking the same scene on all the settings from 80 ISO through 1600 ISO show that the S9100 is producing excellent images and processing as cleanly as a camera can. The JPEG artifacts in the 80 ISO image are there, but are very minor and they only appear in areas of high contrast, which is typically where that is at it's worst. Overall, the artifacting in the 80 ISO images is not really detectable unless you zoom in with PhotoShop and are looking for them. They seem to fade in intensity as you choose larger and larger pixel counts, so that's either an optical illusion or an effect of using the CCD and processing differently. But it's all good good good so far.

The 1600 ISO image has much more JPEG artifacting, and subsequently, resolution seems to be affected to some small degree, but when zooming in with PhotoShop, I still have to say that the camera is processing very cleanly and many high contrast lines, such as along beams, window sills, edges of large plant leaves, etc, come out reasonably sharp for such a high ISO. The image is still functional for many uses. It's not a waste to shoot at 1600 here, although it's a far cry from that some Ilford 800 or 1600 could do in a 35mm camera. Not fair? Ok, we'll leave that one alone.

The magnificent thing about these photos, especially as you push the ISO higher and higher, is that while the image seems to be taking on more JPEG artifacts as usual, the degradation of the photo does NOT seem to have any of that old-style color bubbling or scattered hot pixel effect that we've seem in lesser quality cameras since the early days of digital. This was a great discovery. By losing the color distortion and only having the JPEG blur effect by boosting the ISO, the effect is to retain much more quality, as the eye perceives. So in effect, to adjust compression, simply rely on the lowest ISO as possible, which we all do anyway. Redundant to say so.

Besides all that, the S9100 is exceptionally fast on startup and to process the largest images, has a great LCD and EVF, lens, grip, menu access, flash and feature setup for people like me who customize most shots and it has a tough casing and a high quality lens cap. It's all top-notch, folks. I'm thrilled with it.

Robert Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:07 PM   #30

Just a couple of observations:

- the S9000 was released in 2005, not 2004
- the MSRP for the S9000 was $699US

I'd love to see some pictures from your S9100.

Have you had a chance to play with the Hyper Utility software? I'm interested in how it stacks up against the free s7raw

(http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa...919/s7raw.html).

The Hyper Utility didn't ship with the S9000, unfortunately, but I've obtained great results using both Adobe Photoshop CS2 and s7raw.

For a quick writeup on editing with s7raw, see http://www.mattspinelli.com/rawediting.html.

david

jsauve wrote:
Quote:
W00t W00t I just got my camera today. Picked it up from Sears Catalog in London, ON Canada. Pre-Ordered it 9/22

I had bought the S9000 from Sears catalog (website)just 3 weeks prior to ordering this one and coincidentally hadn't opened the packaging and returned it when I saw this was coming.Am I ever glad I didn't open it after seeing the S9100s arrival. It has 2 years worth of technology improvements under the hood since the 2004 release of the S9000.

Twice the number of pixels (235,000) alone on the LCD as its predecessor is reason enough to get it, coupled with the IFlash and better RAW support. It putsthis cameraback in the same league with other point and shoot LCDs. Probably not worth the upgrade if you already own the S9000 though just from what I've been reading.

Sears regularprice$699 isgood starting price (less than the S9000).

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000H...odeid=16358381
earthsound is offline   Reply With Quote