Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:22 AM   #1

Hello all,

I am considering a Fuji S5200, but have been hearing and reading of the infamous "zoom error" in many Fuji models.

Is the S5200 prone to this failure? Has it happened to anyone with this model?

Thanks for any input!

Wayne
wtyamamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2

[align=left]I am using the s5600 wich is the uk version of the s5200 for a while now and i have never had a problem with the zoom or the camera and i have had some cracking shots. I have tried using the wide angel converter and the tele-converter they dont make much of a differnce but they had no effect on the zoom of the s5600

hope this will help

:|
[/align]
the rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 1:54 AM   #3

I've had my S5200 for almost a year and I've taken thousands of shots with no problems at all. I've found it to be a very good, very dependable camera.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 1:34 AM   #4

Six months and over 1,000 pics later...no errors, no problems, nothing. Just great looking pics!
manxclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:51 PM   #5

I think it was a problem more in Fuji cameras of a few years ago.

When I had my F550, I heard so many people getting zoom errors. However with my F10, I have had it accidentily extend in my pocket many times, and every time I turn it on, it automatically fixes itself. Since the S5200 does not have a lens that extends, it is even less of an issue. BTW, canon and a few other brands have had problems like this as well in the past.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:17 PM   #6

I have had the S5200 for about ten months. Thousands of photos - some magnificant - never a zoom problem.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:46 AM   #7

Mine got the dreaded "Zoom Error" problem. It happened after I crashed on my scooter while taking a shot. I drop my camera and lost 2pcs of the batteries. I was still able to use it on a shoot. the next day while playing on its auto focus feature, it happened. the dreaded zoom error appeared.

Brought it to Fuji service center here in the philippines and they had it repaired. They replaced the lens assembly. the camera's working fine now. The sad part is that camera had to stay with them for almost 6months. Good thing they gave me a service camera, a Fuji S5000.

To be honest, I enjoyed the S5000 more than the S5600 because it produces better quality pictures.

mark040477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 2:36 PM   #8

Well you would get a zoom error if you drop the camera. THATS JUST MY OPINION.

Neil....

Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:35 PM   #9

I agree. I've owned an S3000 and an S5000 before and they are both very reliable. If it wasn't for the accident with the S5600, I think the zoom error wouldn't happen. I'll try to post a pic of the S5600's lens. Fuji returned the part that they replaced.
mark040477 is offline   Reply With Quote