Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 24, 2006, 7:23 AM   #1

Having only owned Fuji digital cameras ie, 4800 and S7000 and found the results impressive,I had no hesitation in selling the S7000 and buyingth S9500 which was supplied in December 2005. This camera suffered from the lens zoom being so loose that the lens "fell" downwards ie. extended when pointed downwards.

This camera was replaced by Jessops in England who were great to deal with. However over the course of timeI have found that this camera serial number 54Q34629 which was supplied in Jan 2006 can only produce what are unsharp results.I have tried every trick in the book including setting the camera sharpness to "HARD" to but the results are unacceptable compared to the 4800 and the S7000. I had no complaint with the S7000 but wanted the 28mm wide angle facility.

I could kick myself for selling the S7000 together with the Fuji wide angle etc.

Please can members advise if the current S9500 examples have improved as I understand that there was a fault with the CCD on early models.

The camera is still under warranty but I have found Fuji to be lacking in their service department often saying in the case of my 4800 that no fault was found when it was clearly faulty. ie. running down batteries when switched off.

Any advice would be welcome.

PLEASE QUOTE YOUR SERIAL NUMBER WHEN REPLYING WITH YOUR EXPERIENCE.

Cameraman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:53 PM   #2

Don't really know what to tell you about this one. I purchased my S9000 last December. I know a lot of people are adamant about not doing any postprocessing on their images. But I use Photoshop, and routinely apply Smart Sharpening and Reduce Noise filters to my images. I am very pleased with the results I get. If you don't like postprocessing then you might consider another camera. I'm sure others will have a different opinion.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 6:38 AM   #3

Hi jphess thanks for your input.

I do not use post processing and do expect good results without doing so, this was not necessary with my earlier cameras

In my case "more was definitely less" This is similar to the ongoing discussion re the Panasonic DMC FZ30 versus the newer FZ50. People say the 50 is giving unsharp results possibly due to the Venus 111 engine processing.

Was about to investigate this camera with a view to swapping for the S9500 but will hold on and see what develops. Panasonic will sooner or later hear about the gripes and be looking at the Leica software mods.

Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:34 AM   #4

I've had the s9500 since january this year and if I'm totally honest I've never been 100% happy with the results.
From new the camera was giving lousy results and so it went back to Fuji. The returned camera gave better results even though Fuji strangely claimed to have found no problems. Still the pictures are not what I would expect.They are a million miles from what I was getting with the s5500.
I realise that the camera will do less 'automatic in camera' processing that a point and shoot model but the amount of post processing needed to get good results to me is unacceptable so I've decided to go down the DSLR road.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:30 AM   #5

Hi Stranger

Many thanks for your input.

It seems that this camera is a duff model. What a shame as it has everything I wanted except the results, which is what matters most.

Will have to consider the next move.

What did you settle for ??

Bryan

PS. Do you still have the camera and if so what is the serial number?

Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:05 AM   #6

Yes I still have the camera although it's for sale on ebay.
The serial No is 54L 10354.
For a DSLR i'm seriously considering the Canon 400D, though the small size and grip are a bit off putting. Maybe the add on battery grip will suit my paws ? There's no official reviews yet so I'll probably hang on for a bit.
Then maybe the Nikon D80 is the way to go,but only when the price drops in line with the 400D. 'Digital Camera' mag and 'Digital Photo' mag have both tested the Nikon and given glowing reviews. I wonder what they'll say about the Canon ?
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:22 AM   #7

Well I wouldn't be so hasty in dismissing the S9000/S95000. If you are comparing pictures taken with a snappy camera compared to the 9000 series, then you may be fooled by the amount of processing being done in those point and shoot models.

I think you really need to compare the results with film based cameras. I have no issues with sharpness with the S9000 I have. Take care to focus and all is good.

This camera has a lot of bang for the buck.

But if exaggerated sharpness is your need, look elsewhere.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:44 AM   #8

Bill,

Thanks for the input.

I am comparing results with the S7000 which had similar facilities and the results are "Chalk and Cheese"

I seems that I am not alone, although some people have no compliant the majority do and are getting rid of their S9500

Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:55 AM   #9

I think that depends on what you want to read and where you read it. On another forum there are many, many satisfied 9000/9500 owners. It's really unfortunate that the camera is getting hammered by a few individuals because it really is a good model. But maybe it isn't right for you.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:20 PM   #10

I can't comment directly on the S7000 but I wouldn't be surprised if there is more edge sharpening going on with that camera. The S9000/9500 is trying to emulate film so it will look soft when compared to other processed point and shoot cameras.

My results are very good and have absolutely no complaints about sharpness. But then again I'm from the film school of photography. I have taken many close-ups and the detail is very good.

Unfortunately there appears to be a lot of Fuji bashing over this model but only because of some minor issues that hopefully will be resolved via the warranty.

I did a lot of research before buying this camera. I could have spent a lot more money, but this unit did it all for me and for the type of pics I want to use this camera for. I just didn't want to deal with add on lenses, the cost and hassle at this time.

If you are comfortable with a manual film based camera, the transition to the 9000 series is not that bad.

You need to make sure the current unit you have is not defective. Takesome shots of a resolution chart. I have taken pictures across a room, non-zoom, of someone holding a news paper and I could easily read the type.... on further inspection using a computer. And that was using 9MF. RAW should be even better if converted properly.

bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote