Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:02 PM   #11
Administrator

It would be unlikely that any significant hardware change was made during production.

But, a firmware change to better utilize the existing 4 shot buffer wouldn't be out of the question (assuming that the 4 shot buffer was already capable of buffering 4 raw photos).

Other than in this thread, I haven't seen any reports of any changes impacting write times, though.

So, I am curious as to the firmware version in the cameras that users claim are able to quickly take 4 shots in raw mode.

If they're not mistaken about it, then Fuji may have slipped an update into the production line (or this ability is already in 1.02 and nobody's bothered to download it, install it, and test write times). lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:22 AM   #12

Belive it. The s5600 shoots raw shots very quick 3 - 4 shots in about 3 secs.....
I dont like using it though beacause it eats the memory up some thing rotten.

:P
the rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:25 AM   #13
Administrator

What firmware version does your camera have?

You can probably see how to check it here (even though the instructions are for the s9500).

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...9500/fupd.html

Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:33 PM   #14

ok i have been away for a couple of days, after playing with the cam more its about 3 pics in 5 secs in raw before it needs to catch up, im using firmware version 1.01, the cameras serial is 62L14*** in case it maybe something to do with this batch of cameras, havent had much of a oppurtunity to do any real shoots with it yet but am so far impressed with it, i will post some pics up and soon as i get around to taking some :P
borrie869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:43 PM   #15
Administrator

Interesting. All reviews and reports I've seen lead me to believe that the camera would not process raw images in parallel (process images and write to media at the same time), requiring a pause for the buffer to flush to media between shots.

Unless you're mistaken (i.e., you are not really shooting in raw), I can only speculate that the camera is designed to recognize when a type H card is being used and behaves differently.

Fuji does not have the best track record in the way in writes to media.

For example, from all outward appearances, they deliberately crippled the camera's write speed to CompactFlash, in order to promote Xd Picturecard as the media of choice (since the camera has slower write times to CompactFlash, even when the cards test dramatically faster than Xd Picturecard in other devices like fast card readers). Or, at best, they didn't use state-of-the-art components and logic for the interface to CompactFlash.

So, I wouldn't put it past them to require newer type H cards, in order to take advantage of parallel processing when shooting in raw.

Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:23 AM   #16

I have the S9000, 54A01009, Ver1.02, 1GB MXD and get the 10 to12 secs wright interval.

Maybe worth checking the HXD card if this speeds the write time for RAW.....

borrie869, exactly what card are you using, MXD or HXD????
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:38 AM   #17

Well i don't know what your doing, but i just tried my S9500 in RAW mode and it took 18 seconds to take 4 pics. If your taking pics in continuos mode then RAW isn't active(IMPOSSIBLE):!::!::!::!:
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:43 AM   #18

wrams wrote:
Quote:
Well i don't know what your doing, but i just tried my S9500 in RAW mode and it took 18 seconds to take 4 pics. If your taking pics in continuos mode then RAW isn't active(IMPOSSIBLE):!::!::!::!:
I'm also using a 1GB XD
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:49 AM   #19

bill soper wrote:
Quote:
I have the S9000, 54A01009, Ver1.02, 1GB MXD and get the 10 to12 secs wright interval.

Maybe worth checking the HXD card if this speeds the write time for RAW.....

borrie869, exactly what card are you using, MXD or HXD????
Does it really matter what card it is??? I don't think so
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:51 AM   #20

wrams wrote:
Quote:
Bill mine is the HXD 1GB