Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:01 PM   #1

hey people ive recently joined up here as from what i can tell there is a wealth of information to be had here so onto my query. i've just got my cam this morning and was testing out all the features when i decided i would check just how slow RAW mode was, To my amazement i was able to take 4 raw pics in about 3 seconds not at all the 10 seconds per pic i was expecting. has fujifilm done any major revision to the s9500 in recent times. i am also well aware of all the problems that have occured with this model, my lens seems fine and i will just have to see about the command dial. the price i got it for though im not complaining as it was the best i could afford, i think im going to be happy with the s9500 it is a hell of a lot better than my old cam.
borrie869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:53 PM   #2

Are you sure you were shooting in raw mode? That sounds to me like you were shooting JPEG images.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:01 PM   #3

nope 100% raw mode 18mb files and need processing to view
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:10 PM   #4

That just doesn't make sense. You are the only person I have seen a comment from that suggests that much writing speed. From what I have seen, they don't make those kinds of changes in a current model, but rather wait for a new model to be released. I guess we will have to see if others are experiencing the same.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:15 PM   #5

well i got the cam about 3 hours ago, and from everything ive read i was expecting insanely slow write times for RAW, but when using it i cant notice a differance between RAW and jpeg for the write times, the camera came with a 512 type m/h xd card, not sure if the card is what may be doing it has to be some explanation
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:51 PM   #6

Odd... I'm getting ~12sec per shot. Take pic, wait for yellow indicator to go out, then able to shoot again. 1Meg XD card.

Are you sure about the three seconds. The viewfinder image will appear in about 3 secs but you will not be able to take another pic until the yellow indicator goes out.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 4:23 AM   #7

I have the Fuji s5600 and the write time for raw pics is about the same, 3 - 4 shots in about 3 secs. which I thought was quick.

I am using the 1gb H xd card. So I don't know if it's the camera or the card .....

:?:?:?:?

the rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 6:26 PM   #8

Sorry, but I just don't believe it. How are you taking these images so fast? The continuous shooting modes are disabled when shooting in raw. Are you absolutely SURE you are shooting in the raw mode? I don't think you are. I have asked on other forums, and they agree with me.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:33 PM   #9
Administrator

I noticed this post the other day, and started to comment, since I thought it to be extremely unlikely that you would get those kinds of times.

But, some cameras do have buffers that let you shoot the same number of raw or jpeg images before they fill up.

That's because all images start out as raw anyway, and the buffer can be designed to hold them for both processing from raw to jpeg and writing to meda. So, when you shoot in raw, with a some buffer designs, you can hold the same number of images as you could shooting in jpeg.

This is camera dependent. An example of a camera that works that way is the Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2. The buffer holds the same number of photos (3 in it's case), regardless of resolution settings, or whether you're shooting raw or jpeg.

Of course, after the buffer is full, you'd still be at the mercy of write times to media (and it would take much longer to flush the buffer shooting in raw because of larger file sizes).

So, Fuji could have made a firmware change during production that handles raw differently, since it looks like it's buffer holds 4 jpeg images (so, it may be holding 4 raw images, too). It's not totally out of the question. But, I'd want to see it to believe it.

For those getting faster times, you may want to see if you've got a newer firmware version. The lastest one that I see available for download is 1.02 (but, that doesn't mean that a newer one isn't in some cameras).

You can see how to check it here:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...9500/fupd.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:46 PM   #10

Yes, I thought about the possibility of a firmware update myself. But the only update that has been given for this model was to accommodate 6 GB micro drives, and that is the only change documented by Fuji. Surely if they had made such a significant change in buffer memory it would have been documented.

If, on the other hand, this was a hardware change in later models, then there are a bunch of us who really got shafted by Fuji.