Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:23 AM   #1

I bought my S5100 used, it came with everything except the CD software that I guess is supposed to be able to convert raw images I take with my camera. Since I don't have the CD, I downloaded the Fuji Raw file converter program from the net, but it doesn't seem to work, maybe i'm doing it wrong. When I try to load the RAW image into the converter, it says it is not a compatible file or something to that effect. Could someone give me some advice and hopefully point me in the right direction, mind you I am somewhat of a novice with the more advance cameras, i'm just used to the point and click models.
Thanks in advance.
badliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:20 AM   #2

The raw converter on the CD doesn't do anything more than allow you to convert the raw file to a tif image. There are no editing capabilities. You can order the CD from the Fuji web site for about $30 if you really want it. It includes viewer software that you might enjoy using. But I haven't used it at all.

In order to use your raw files effectively, you need a raw converter that will allow you to do some editing and modification of your files. If you don't have any other software for working with your raw images, and if you are using a PC, do a search for S7Raw and download it. It is a pretty good converter, and the price is right; it is free. There are also some tutorials available somewhere on the Internet to help you use the program effectively. But I don't know where they are. I don't use that program because I have Photoshop and use Adobe Camera Raw.

If you are serious about shooting raw images, you might consider purchasing Photoshop Elements. There is a new version 5.0 that is just being introduced that would probably meet your needs, and it will definitely allow you to work on the raw images from your 5100.

I have a 5100 myself. I use it occasionally now because I also have a 9000. The 5100 is a very capable little camera and will do a wonderful job with raw images. But don't judge the quality of those raw files just as they come from the camera. A lot of people expect that raw images will inherently be of higher quality. They have the potential of being so, but it takes understanding of raw and postprocessing to make those raw images what they can be.

Good luck. If you have other questions feel free to ask them here.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:03 PM   #3

Thanks jphess,

that actually helps quite a bit, its a start for me, now I can play around with the RAW images and get used to them, maybe one day i'll pick up photoshop, but its so bloody expensive. You mentioned photoshop elements, what is the difference between that and photoshop?
badliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2006, 3:43 PM   #4

Photoshop Elements is sort of a "Photoshop Lite". The user interface is very similar. Photoshop Elements is geared more to photographers, so it doesn't offer some of the features of Photoshop. But many people find that they are able to get along very well with Photoshop Elements. It includes Adobe Camera Raw, which is a very good raw editor/converter. And with the new version 5.0 that is just being introduced, I understand that it has more features than it has had in previous versions of Elements. Typically, it can be purchased for less than $100. You might check Amazon.com as well as other resources to see what kind of a price you can get it for. Personally, I think you would be a very good choice for you. There is an excellent user community sponsored by Adobe where you can get a lot of excellent support.

Here is the link to the Amazon.com offering:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_hs....y=0&Go=Go
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote