Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:29 PM   #1

Default anybody happy with his/hers 3800 giving poor colors ?

im thinking of trading my 3800 for an olympus c740 ...
any comments ? im not sure its better and since im a newbie and all, but i dont like my 3800's indoor images, i feel they are color and sharpness poor. im looking for someone with past expirience with either one of these cams...

Lior
moonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 5:12 PM   #2

lets have a look?
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 5:24 PM   #3

what do u mean ? example photos ?

here ya go - http://www.info-hitech.com/liort
notice the brownish picture, the poor colors (in the computer pic) and the poor sharpness in the bookcase pic.

also - do u think olympus c740 will do a better job for inside/outside photos overall ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebaird
lets have a look?
moonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:59 PM   #4

Look at the EXIF data on the pics you took. One seemed to have a smaller stop than I would have expected - so a lot of flash light must have got bounced back. I also noticed one pic with a focus warning which you should have spotted in the EVF. Sensitivity of the 3800 isn't hot.

Try taking some flash shots indoors, on manual iris set to f2.8 and 100-200 shutter. Get AF before taking the shot. All the pics look under exposed, and this won't get good white balance if you had the room lights on and your shutter was slow.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 1:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Look at the EXIF data on the pics you took. One seemed to have a smaller stop than I would have expected - so a lot of flash light must have got bounced back. I also noticed one pic with a focus warning which you should have spotted in the EVF. Sensitivity of the 3800 isn't hot.

Try taking some flash shots indoors, on manual iris set to f2.8 and 100-200 shutter. Get AF before taking the shot. All the pics look under exposed, and this won't get good white balance if you had the room lights on and your shutter was slow.
No ISO setting on this cam ... fixe dat 100. but yes, you need t use the manual settings and drop the flash ... please ... set the flash tp -0.3 at least.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 7:13 AM   #6

Yes, but he still needs his manual shutter 100-200thish(that's not ISO!) to reduce mixed light from tungsten when the cam is presetting to daylight in flash mode as an overide. Doubt if it's doing any auto white bal, mine doesn't - even in manual!. Try setting manual tungsten and take a flash pic - it will come out perfect. Traps for the unwary

Why is it all these cams on auto flash seem to set their shutters to 1/60-1/80th. I still find that too long.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 7:03 AM   #7

If u are having problems with colour, go into manual mode, set the whitebalance to the appropriate setting (it changes in realtime as u flick through the WB settings, so watch the background to make it easier to select one as u are browsing the options). The auto-whitebalance isn't very good at selecting the correct setting in low light, so do it yourself.

Also, play with the EV settings. I use that alot to 'brighten' my subject or surrounding area, depending on which is lacking in light.
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote