Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 8, 2006, 3:37 AM   #11

Hello monsoon777,

In your 1.st post you said that you owned previously a Canon S2-IS, wich i have actually. Being interested in the S6500fd i have a few questions:

- How fast is the S6500fd compared to the S2-IS (especially Autofocus speed)

- How good is the LCD when viewed from different angles (the S2-IS has a tilt& swivelLCD wich makes shooting from different angles very easy)

- How good are the videos compared to the S2-IS? Is the S6500fd adjusting focus when changing the zoom ?

- Are thereany points where you would say that the S2-ISwas really better than the S6500fd?

best regards,

Claude fom Luxembourg

cwindowsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:19 AM   #12

Hi Monsoon:

Have you tried the manual focus?

Can you post your ISO 3200 picture? Is the noise level acceptable?

Thanks
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:52 PM   #13

You asked: How fast is the S6500fd compared to the S2-IS (especially Autofocus speed):

= I haven't noticed any difference in speed at all (although there may well be). Keep in mind I AM a noob.
But I was able to take freeze shots of my dog in mid air after I threw his Frisbee, if that helps.

You asked: How good is the LCD when viewed from different angles (the S2-IS has a tilt& swivel LCD which makes shooting from different angles very easy)

One feature I didn't really want to lose was the tilt & swivel. A feature I didn't think I'd use at all I did use quite a bit for taking macro photos with my S2.
++ But with the MUCH bigger screen and it has crisper LCD I'm happy with the switch. You can view it almost completely sideways and it's still crystal clear.

-How good are the videos compared to the S2-IS? Is the S6500fd adjusting focus when changing the zoom ?

? Sorry I haven't really taken any yet nor watched them on my HD to really get a feel, but YES the camera does keep focusing with any zooming in/out you do.

Are there any points where you would say that the S2-IS was really better than the S6500fd?

- Well the smaller size of the S2 for a 12x zoom was better (but still not a pocket camera).
- I didn't want to change to XD because it's not as popular (I'm guessing that point) and I already have a 1gb SD Ultra II
+ but it does seem to hold more pics per MB= 337 on a 1g card with the finest settings. If I remember right the canon was around 180 or so, can that even be so? Almost twice as many per MB? Great compression I guess..
- And I did like Canon's software better.
- The panorama feature was very cool with the S2, so I'll miss that a bit even though sometimes it didn't line up all the shots perfectly, and once the"cool" wore offIforgot about it.
= But I should still be able to use that software or other panoramic software (sure it's out there) it just won't be as automated.
- And I would rather have a 12x zoom than a 10.7x but I figured that was pretty small difference really.
- I would also admit the Canon probably feels more expensive. My VERY first reaction because of owning the S2 was the Fuji felt
a bit more plastic and rubbery, but after using it, it doesn't seem so anymore the grip is quite comfortable. It's actually the rubber on the side that's a surer feel that the S2's hard plastic grip.

Other strengths over the S2 I didn't point out yet.
It is nice to have a lens cap that locks on vs. the one on the Canon that always fell off! (argh easy to scratch a lens that way)
The pop up flash is better than forgetting to pull it up like on the Canon (but I could go either way on that one because if you don't want the flash just leave it down.

ONE really cool featureon the S6000fd is the two shots mode. It will quickly take a shot with and without the flash so you get to try both on the same shot. I think I'll use that every once in a while. (noob feature I know). Hope it all helps. Cheers.

And I just found out you can use the lens hood and still put on the lens cap! Maybe that's a standard thing.. but I didn't know that!

monsoon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:58 PM   #14

what i really like about those pics is the colours. they look real. did you use auto white balance when taking them?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:33 AM   #15

Yup AUTO all the way for this Noob.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:29 PM   #16

Monsoon, thank you so much for all your work educating us about the S6500. I've been thinking about buying one, and I'd say that you've "pushed me over the edge"!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:36 PM   #17

Hi Monsoon,

Thanks for the review, I've been very happy with my 4MP S5500/S5100 and was thinking of upgrading to the new 9MP S5900 but I'm not really sure I need 9MP and was thinking of this camera instead, it seems to offer everything I need now and in the future and is a good £100 cheaper!
Gordon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:34 AM   #18

Sorry I forgot to ask last night... but can you add filters to the lens and if you can what size does it take.?
Gordon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:59 AM   #19

monsoon777 wrote:
Quote:
Here are some sample pix from my new Fujifilm S6000.I was doing too many things at once. (a motorcyle tripis not that condusiveof taking photos I learned). Anyways,none of these are award winners (my doing) BUT at least you can see some samples of the cameraif you are looking into getting one. This is full 10.7 zoomwithout using atripod with the horses.

Hello,

I am going to buy this camera and thanks for this review. I am living in Hungary anda hungarianfoto webpage/ foto team have reviewed the s6500fd camera. But as I mentioned it is only in hungarian language I have no time to translate it, but I can share the link of the sample pictures (original and full size pictures). I hope it will be helpful!

http://pixinfo.com/fgep/Fujifilm_Fin...13mm_ISO100_oa

And if somebody can speak in Hungarian :roll:, the full9 pages review:

http://pixinfo.com/cikkek/fujifilm_finepix_s6500fd.1

have a nice day to taking photos!
Csiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:38 AM   #20

Thank you for the links !