Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:43 PM   #1

I looked everywhere for a review before I bought this, so for you out there who want ANY opinion, here is my very amatuer and yet not so humble opinion:

The "face detection" feature, which sounds like a gimmick, for me quantifies this as the best digital I've ever used. A green box will appear over your subjects face and even if they're like my 2 year old and are constantly moving will actually follow their face (as long as they are looking in the general viscinity of the camera). They can be a foot away or I tried it at least 40ft and it still picked it up. It will give focus and lighting priority to their faces. It even works on the TV (had to try it). The macro is excellent, and it has a supermacro thatis so much better than my S2's. I was concerned about it's manual zoom, but it's way faster and ultimately better than a battery consuming zoom. The ISO of 3200 can take unblurry pictures withouta flash in my very dark house and they're still usuable VS the throw away blurrrrr of my canon. I'm really happy I finally pulled the trigger and bought this over the S3-IS. - (From a former S2-IS owner.) Only complaints are it's fairly large.. But you can't put any super zoom in your pocket really.. Oh yea and the "on board" memory is about the dumbest thing ever. You can take about 1 picture on the finest mode before it's full. What's the point of that? Or I don't understand why you would buy a 6.3mp and use low quality shots. BUT the good news is the XD cards hold more per MB than the SD cards and are very fast. Use the "M". I got a 1gb card as best buy for $39.99 and it'll hold about 350 at the best resolution (fine). I am a VERY hard to please person when it comes to anything electronic, and I couldn't be happier than with my first Fuji. Let's put it this way.In three days, I have more quality"printer worthy" shots thanover a year with my S2-IS.(I still love myCanon Pixma IP5000 Printer!). Cheers.
monsoon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 4:09 PM   #2

Thanks for the mini review.

have you got an opinion about focus speeds compared to other cams you have used?

i have used an S9500 and i thought that its focus was sluggish - I assume the S6500has taken a technical advance in this regard.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 5:41 PM   #3

Hey!

Thank you so much for the review!

I just ordered my S6000fd from Norman camera b/c it ended up being 399 shipped and they had great reviews. This will be my 4th Fuji, after a 2650, E550, and F10.

I love my F10 to death, but it's lack of manual controls and limiting lens are troublesome, hence I am getting the 6000. This 6.3MP sensor series is fantastic, and the lens, carried over from the 9000 is great, so I think it will be a good pair.

And norm, the 6000 is supposed to be much better auto focus than the 9000, though I have yet to see myself.

I have a question for you monsoon, with the M cards, do you get any lag while recording videos. I heard some models have that issue.

I will let you all know when I get my s6000.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:22 PM   #4

Here are some sample pix from my new Fujifilm S6000.I was doing too many things at once. (a motorcyle tripis not that condusiveof taking photos I learned). Anyways,none of these are award winners (my doing) BUT at least you can see some samples of the cameraif you are looking into getting one. This is full 10.7 zoomwithout using atripod with the horses.

Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:27 PM   #5

I missed my fall shots by two weeks
Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:28 PM   #6

mini me

Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:29 PM   #7

my flying dog.
Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:30 PM   #8

bling
Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:42 PM   #9

-
Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:44 PM   #10

>>>I have a question for you monsoon, with the M cards, do you get any lag while recording videos. I heard some models have that issue.<<<

I haven't noticed anything of the sort... But I haven't spent lots of time with the video mode.