Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:32 PM   #1

Do NOT buy the Fuji FinePix E900 digital camera. They charged me $159 for a fix within the warrantee period. Their support manager told my wife the cameras are not being built well and dust gets inside destroying the gears. Rather than fixing them they replace them and then they charged me for the replacement even though it still had months left on the warrantee. See this article for the full story:http://sugarmtnfarm.com/blog/2006/10...ad-choice.html
pubwvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:14 PM   #2

That is very weird. I bought an F550 in early 05', and sent it back to get rid of dust spot on the lens 100 pixels wide at 6MP. The first time they sent it back to me, they claimed to clean the CCD, but the spot was still there. I sent it back again, and they called me to ask if they could send me an F10 instead, as the F550s were low on production, and a new one would take two extra weeks, so I agreeded. Although I lost manual control, the F10s awesome ISO abilities made it okay, and it was a more expensive, more pocketable camera. This was all done costing me only shipping, but in the end, I was satisfied. I would fight that $159 if it is under warranty. That is rediculous. I am really sorry you are having this issue.

The F series seem to have problems with lenses getting dirty and zoom error. It is the most problematic Fujifilm line I have seen.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:15 PM   #3

I kind of doubt that Fuji would just not honor the warranty if there was a little dust. I worked in the repair industry with Minolta, and I know that customers and manufactures have a difference of opinion when it comes to warranty.

Are you sure you did not have a lot of what you call dust, or maybe sand? I know having to pay for a repair SUCKS, I have been there. We all think that no matter what the camera looks like, it has to be a warranty.

I think you are just upset and now you are venting. I have 2 Fuji S3 cameras, and they have been to repair twice and they cleaned my CCD at no charge. My brother has an F700 and they replaced his CCD at no charge.

There are many bad and good repairs, and it will never end. Just because you had to pay, does not make Fuji cameras bad.
cpphotoman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:46 PM   #4

I kept the camera in a case when not in use. When in use it was in my hand. It was not dirty or abused. I have many other digital cameras including those from Ricoh, Nikon and Casio that have no problems like this over the past 15 years. I'm not venting, I'm reporting exactly what happened. Go read the full story at the link I provided.
pubwvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:54 PM   #5

Walter,

My condolences on the loss of your camera. I'm having a little difficulty accepting the Fuji rep's explanation that dust destroys gears. Gears are made of metal or plastic...dust is made of...well...little fluffy stuff that blows around. So how can a little speck of dust on the sensor ruin gears? I think there's another issue here...unless photoman's theory (sand) is more apropos...you did have a gear issue in your coolpix, didn't you Walter? Maybe that clean air in Vermont isn't as clean as you think? Seriously, those granite pits in Barre could be spewing all kinds of abrasive particulate matter into the air, and with the prevailing winds...you'd never know it.

I did attempt to email Mr. Scarola, but my email was returned due to an unknown user...perhaps he's no longer with the company.

Good luck with your replacement cam.

the Hun

It slips away
And all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind
All we are is dust in the wind

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:50 PM   #6

I am new to this site, but am on Dpreview a lot. I came to this site to see if there is anything on the XD cards not working, and i sawyour little note.I went to your blog and even replied, but I do not think you will approve to post it because it does not really agree with you completely. I will also post it here for replies:

I think you are a very upset customer who is a little mad that he had to pay for something he did not want to pay for. I also think that there is more to the story then we know, and all who have responded without knowing the other side should think about it real hard.

I am a believer in two sides, and need proof before I make a final decision. I am also a loyal Fuji customer. I have had 7 cameras from them, and they have worked without fail for 10 years.

I read your account of what you said happened, but I find it hard to believe that Fuji would not warranty a camera just because there was a speck of dust on the camera. Also, I find it hard to believe that they would replace it just because of dust. The reason to replace a product would be because it is so badly damaged that it can not be repaired. Why wouldn't they just charge you for a cleaning? Why do something so off the wall like say it is un-repairable because of dirt when you could have refused it and had proof to take them to court? Also, why would you agree to pay for it? If you feel this strongly, why not just refuse to pay for it and still post your Blog? It's not like you needed the camera, you had 3 other cameras to use. You could have then posted pictures of the camera so we can see that Fuji was wrong. That would have brought more truth to your story and had a greater impact.

Believe me, if what you say is true, and it happened to me, I would also be very mad like you and never buy a Fuji camera again. The only thing is I would not have paid and then showed the pictures of my clean camera to make the point even stronger. I am not saying this did not happen, but in dealing with Fuji for ten years, I have some non warranty issues in the past, but I paid and moved on.

Do not get me wrong, I have been there with Sony and a stereo I had, but in the end it was my fault, and I still buy Sony products.

A Fair Man

PhotoFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:00 PM   #7

That is a very good point. I also went to the link provided, and a lot of what was written did not make sense. Maybe Ishould not make commentsbecause I was in that line of work at one time, but you do make some good points though. It would have been very easy for him to refuse it and then see the so called damage and post the pictures of it to really screw Fuji.

Just an opnion.
cpphotoman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:58 PM   #8

I am not trying to put him under a light, I just think that there might be more to the story that is all. He may be telling the full truth, but I would never know.

Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:51 PM   #9

One thing I do know, he never posted my responce on his Blog site. He has posted other peoplewho agree with him since, but non that do not agree. This is what I mean about being fair.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:43 PM   #10

The one thing I hqave always found is that no matter the product, l save the box, save all the orginal packing and save the package wrapping even, I put it in the attic or in a closet if the need arises for a reapir.i just had a Sony DSCP200 repaired,it was turned aroundin a week.I'm not siding withFuji at all but like rebates warranties can be tricky read everything, you should even have included you original receipt. I have leveraged store purchases against warranty refusal on videocards, hard drives (Maxtor), etc. Most companies have an unbiased policy, its not personalbut it isprobably more fair to the companythan the consumer. If you still have trouble having a problem fixed you should have contacted the place you bought it to see if they have any leverage with Fuji. If that still didn't work you should have contacted VT's attorney general's office and demanded fair action. I live in Connecticut and I know I have gotten things resloved via the attorney generals office.

If you feel you paid unduly after good faith efforts then fight it.

speaktome62 is offline   Reply With Quote