Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 27, 2006, 5:12 PM   #1

can anyone advise me on how to open a raw file in photoshop elements 3 for apple mac tried the drag and drop method and it says unrecognised file format I have a Fuji s6500fdthanksGriff
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:38 PM   #2
Administrator

I don't see your camera in the listed of supported camera yet for Adobe Camera Raw (even in the models supported by the latest 3.6 beta).

Try it and see. Sometimes a new model is recognized, although not officially supported yet.

You'll see instructions on this download page on how to install the plugin you'll need to download.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3535

If that doesn't work, let me know and I may ask you to send me some raw and jpeg files from it taken in daylight with lots of colors in them (to try and make sure the WB is decoded properly) if you'd like to see it supported. I can call Dave Coffin, forward him the files and try to get it added to dcraw.c (a popular open source product that can convert raw files from most cameras that shoot in raw). Once added to dcraw, it will begin to show up in more products and we can try to get a version of it compiled to work on your mac in the interim.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:42 PM   #3

The 6000/6500 and the 9100/9600 are not supported by any version of Adobe Camera Raw. Probably the best thing for you to do would be to send a raw file to Thomas Knoll, founder of Adobe Photoshop and author of Camera Raw. That is what I did it with my S9000, and it was added soon afterwards.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:44 PM   #4

The 6000/6500 and the 9100/9600 are not supported by any version of Adobe Camera Raw. Probably the best thing for you to do would be to send a raw file to Thomas Knoll, founder of Adobe Photoshop and author of Camera Raw. That is what I did it with my S9000, and it was added soon afterwards.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:22 AM   #5

for what its worth adobe camera RAW works fine for my s9500, im using version 3.6
borrie869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:41 AM   #6

It should because JPHESS had Adobe add it into Camera Raw.......
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:44 PM   #7

Yes, the 9000/9500 was added to the supported camera list in version 3.3. The thing about raw is that every specific camera model must be added. It isn't an issue of manufacturer, it is the specific model. And the 6000/6500 is very new, and I suspect it will be a little while before there is support for your raw files from any raw converter.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:56 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
And the 6000/6500 is very new, and I suspect it will be a little while before there is support for your raw files from any raw converter.
As a general rule, if Dave Coffin gets a good set of images (and he prefers Macbeth Color Charts taken in daylight as a good starting point), he has a camera added to dcraw.c within 24 hours. But, if that level of image is not available, he can work with almost anything and get it working (although the "as shot" white balance may take a bit more time).

There are some exceptions (for example, if a manufacturer is using any encryption, he may need more time to crack it). Sometimes it's a little tricky getting the WB deciphered, too. But, he's pretty fast.

Any time I get a chance, I get him images from new models so he can add them. A number of commercial applications use some or all of David's code.

From my perspective, the sooner he has a model added to dcraw.c, the more applications you'll find that can support it sooner, because his Ansi Standard C source code is available for all to see. He does the work decoding the proprietary raw formats, they take advantage of it. :-)

But, most of the commercial companies don't share their code. So, I prefer to send images to David versus Adobe or someone else. That way, you have more choices in raw conversion tools for a camera model (since they keep up with his published code).

See the list of "Other Raw Decoders" on his web site here:

http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

But, I'd suggest that the OP try 3.6 anyway. Sometimes, Adobe has a camera model added to ACR before the camera is even officially announced, or the camera is added to the list of supported models, depending on their relationship with the manufacturer.

For example, ACR 3.4 had support for the Sony DSLR-A100 before this camera was publically announced.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:16 AM   #9

Sorry, not this time..
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:13 AM   #10

Does anyone know if the S9000 is supported in PhotoShop CS , haven't upgraded to CS2 as yet.

If so, what is the file name and where can it be had?
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote