Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 29, 2003, 9:19 AM   #11

Indoors with a long zoom you will probably need a tripod. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:59 PM   #12

Hi

I just bought the Oly Tcon-17 to shoot my twin boys high school/club soccer games. This lens is awesome!

I also bought the Fuji 55 adapter. Hated to spend the bigger bucks, but it attaches to the lens and the camera so smoothly. (I have heard about people buying cheap adapters and they have little burrs that need to be buffed out....)

Try 17 Street Photo to purchase this lens. Lens was in stock for a great price and they have great customer service. Order was super easy to track which is a real plus.

good luck!
bsheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 2:46 AM   #13

Hellos,
I just got a Fuji FinePix S5000z myself... and I'm looking for some lenses to attach to it. Thought I'd start asking here since some of you people already purchased some lenses for S602z and it seems that the diameter of Fuji's cameras remained the same (55mm).

I'm really interrested in telephoto lenses and macro ones. Call me nuts but I'd like to boost S5000z's 10x as much as possible I made some pictures of mars and the moon and they came out really neat, but more zoom would increase the "neatness"

What I don't understand is how come Fuji only offers a 1.5x TelePhoto and Olympus a 1.7x? Ah, and btw, isn't there any available lens with 55mm (or if diff. diameter, an adapter for it too) that has more than 2x? I know Canon's official telephoto lens is 1.75x (for PowerShot cameras), but that's still not enough. Also, the price should be less than $170, because if it is more expensive, I can just buy a small telescope instead and attach the camera to it.

And another question about macro/close-up lenses. Fuji didn't seem to make one for S5000, although the camera's macro goes only from 10cm (s602 has super-macro at 1cm as a comparision). Are there any close-up lenses widely available with 55mm diameter and if so, what are their specifications?

Thanks a lot in advance, hope my questions haven't been too painful to answer

Cheers,
veedee.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 5:04 PM   #14

veedee,

There are a few options for macro that I know of. One is to get one or more Close-up Filters. They usually have a diopter values of +1 +2 +3 +4 or +10. Or get a standard 55mm lens and put it on backwards (use a Macro Reversing Ring) and get around a +20. There are also macro lens but I don't know much about them.

As for zoom, I don't know of anything more than a 1.7x. That would give you 17x though which is not too shabby. I've asked around and haven't heard of anything bigger for a 55mm thread camera. Now my old nikon CP800 (which is like 27mm) had a 8x monocle that was very cool but I've found nothing like that for the 602. If you are looking for super zoom check out the Digiscoping forum. They will probably tell you that the nikons are one of the few cameras that work really well for that sorta thing. You can always try to stick binoculars or monoculars on the end and see what happens. (protect your lens though)

I'd also recommend you look into getting a polarized filter. They are very cool.

You can get 55mm versions of all those filters pretty easily. 55mm is all you need to remember for compatability. But note they also have rings that let you convert from 55mm to some other size if you find something that's only in a certain size.
scottamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 12:32 AM   #15

scottamus. firstly thanks for your reply.

okay, so it's settled... the Tcon-17 is the best choice.

i'm also thinking in getting some hoya 55mm multi-coated close-up lenses. have to see if i can fit all that into my budget.

can you please explain me a little more about the "Macro Reversing Ring" as you call it? thanks.

Cheers,
veedee.
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 5:12 PM   #16

Here is a good article on macro photography:
http://www.mplonsky.com/photo/article.htm
also might look here:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...category=Macro

The reversing ring is just a male to male adapter that lets you put a lens on in reverse. the idea is you would buy or have a standard 55mm camera lens and when you stick it backwards on a camera that already has a lens, it has the optical effect of extreme magnification.
scottamus is offline   Reply With Quote