Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 13, 2003, 12:12 AM   #1

Default new lens for s602

Is a 55mm the only size lens for the s602? Also, when you put on an additional lens, does it only affect the optical zoom?
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2003, 5:48 AM   #2

The adapter Fuji sell is a 55mm design. Product code is AR-FX3. Now, I don't know if u could use a 3rd party adapter ring, that for instance only took you up to 48mm, im not sure.

As for does it have to be telephoto, no, not at all. You can buy a variety of lenses, one being a wideangle lens, which actually reduces the zoom power in tradeoff for a much wider span at 0x zoom (great for those "letterbox" landscape shots).
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 9:10 AM   #3

Thanks Photodude.

What I really want to take pictures of is my son on the soccer field and my daughter in her dance performances. It seems that we are always so far away. My pictures don't seem to be as clear when I use the digital portion of my zoom. I was kind of hoping for an attachment lens with a larger zoom. We live in a small town so I usually start my research with these discussion boards. The access to any decent stores (let alone a camera store) is hard to come by, so any resource you may have would be a big help.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:38 AM   #4

i'm getting the fuji telephoto lens next wednesday (18th june)

so i'll show you some sample pics from that if you like
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:12 AM   #5

A good way to get around the digital zoom issue is to take your photo at 3MP-Normal/Fine Mode. You won't be able to get as many pic's onto the memory card however.

When in 3MP mode, the digital zoom is not used at all. Also, with the images being such high resolution, you can crop your photographs to bring the subjects into the frame alot better, and still maintain great quality. A kind of Post-Capture zoom You will also get much better composition if you crop a little and cut out those dull parts of the photo.
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 1:10 PM   #6

Photodude,

Are you talking about croping the pictures with the camera or with photo software? Anytime I try to crop with my software the edges of the subject get a little fuzzy. Also, if you use the camera, doesn't it change the mega pixles to 1?

Thanks for your patience!

Angela
Old Jun 13, 2003, 1:12 PM   #7

Thanks davebaird. I would love to see the pictures! Which lens are you getting and what magnification. Aslo, do you know the difference between a regular lens and a wide angle lens?

Thanks,

Angela
Old Jun 13, 2003, 4:32 PM   #8
djb

i believe there is a 55-55 adapter and a 55-52mm adapter available for the s602z.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 4:56 PM   #9
int

I have a 55-52mm adapter on mine, with a UV filter attached. I found the adapter on ebay for $15.
int is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:53 AM   #10

Take a look at the TCON 17. That is the lens that everyone that owns a s602 raves about. it gives a 1.7x magnification which take the 602 up to just past 10x. Unfortunately, I haven't found a store that has them in stock yet. It'll be around $100.

As far as getting it on your camera you will need a 55-55 adapter. Some places sell one with the TCON. I just bought one seperately from cameragear.com. The one there was only around $6. Many people leave this adapter on their camera all the time and stick a UV filter on the end to protect your protruding lens. If you go this route I'd also recommend getting some 55mm lens caps, a camera hood, and maybe a polarized filter or some other filters you think you might use.

If you search for s602 with "TCON 17", "lens", or "filters", you might find more details.
scottamus is offline   Reply With Quote