Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:02 AM   #1

Have had the S6500 for a few days now and am generally impressed especially by the speed and functionality. In fact tha autofocus is even faster and more reliable than the Canon 20D that I have access to at my workplace. However, while the results in RAW mode are very impressive, even above ISO 800, the results on JPEGs, even on the FINE setting (sadly only availible at max res) are a mixed bag.

I have been using the camera at near maximum zoom (love the lens, by the way) and because of that I find that in low light I have to increse the shutter speed to stop bluriring due to movement. The problem is that the noise compensation and/or JPEG compression artifacts are very noticable when I blow-up the image - even as low as ISO 200. I am hoping that I may be able to overcome this by optimising my settings and spending a bit more time adjusting my shots. Otherwise, I am thinking that it may be a fault with this particular unit and is not typical of this product.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the s6500 or in fact any other Fuji cameras?

Cheers!
markcoulthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:26 AM   #2

Hi Mark,

I am new here, but I bought an S6500 last week. I love the camera, very pleased with it. I have also used long zooms on a 35mm slrwithout stabilization, and it seems that blur is a problem over 150 mm unless you use a tripod or some other stabilizer. Strange, but I foundless problems with blur at high zoom in macro mode on the s6500. As for the jpeg issues, the best solution for me is just to shoot RAW. The converter packaged with the camera is a little pokey, but I always like to adjust the image.The current version of the finepix studio does support jpeg output. So,I would shootRAW with a tripod at high zoom and use the software to get jpegs.

Hope that helps!
artlmntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:17 PM   #3

markcoulthard wrote:
Quote:
Have had the S6500 for a few days now and am generally impressed especially by the speed and functionality. In fact tha autofocus is even faster and more reliable than the Canon 20D that I have access to at my workplace. However, while the results in RAW mode are very impressive, even above ISO 800, the results on JPEGs, even on the FINE setting (sadly only availible at max res) are a mixed bag.

I have been using the camera at near maximum zoom (love the lens, by the way) and because of that I find that in low light I have to increse the shutter speed to stop bluriring due to movement. The problem is that the noise compensation and/or JPEG compression artifacts are very noticable when I blow-up the image - even as low as ISO 200. I am hoping that I may be able to overcome this by optimising my settings and spending a bit more time adjusting my shots. Otherwise, I am thinking that it may be a fault with this particular unit and is not typical of this product.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the s6500 or in fact any other Fuji cameras?

Cheers!

Though I use an S7000, I have to ask when you "blow up" the picture and look at the results are you referring to looking at it on a computer monitor at 100-300% or do you mean when you make a large print (such as 8.5"x11") with a quality photo printer? If you are referring to how it looks on a monitor screen you have to realize that the image you are looking at is already quite large (something like 27"x38") so you are really "pixel peeping" big time, and as well your monitor may or may not be able to resolve as well as the camera is capable of. On my S7000 (pics shot at 12mp fine soft jpeg)I print pics quite frequently at8.5"x11" on a good HP photo printer and get excellent results.And your S6500 should be capable of similar results.

Clyde

Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote