Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 21, 2006, 2:54 AM   #1

I bought a S9600 about ten days ago and am appalled at the dreadful noise problems, even at ISO 80. Has anyone else experienced this?

A friend who aquired a Sony Cybershot DSC H5 and who has virtually no photography expereince is producing images that are far superior in quality to those I am getting with the Fuji.

So far I am quite disgusted that I have paid £100 more than she did, for a camera that appears to be rubbish.
suerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:21 AM   #2

I bought my S9600 about the same time and haven't had such problems. Noise is almost not visible at all at ISO 200 and below. Maybe you got a lemon.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:37 AM   #3

"appalled", "dreadful", "disgusted" and "rubbish" sound too harsh to me.

I've had my S9500 (nearly the same but older model) for almost a year, this is a fine advanced P&S camera. Up to ISO 200 there is almost no noise, at ISO400 there is some, that can be easily removed in postprocessing. The performance is not stellar at ISO800, but even at ISO1600 the results are acceptable for small size prints.

If you can post an example, we can go from there. It's possible, that the ISO wasn't 80, or there can be many other reasons.

Here is an example taken at ISO1600:

The camera is not as bad as you think, because here the light level was really low, it was taken handheld and the shadows were lifted in Photoshop, the original was much darker.

This was taken at ISO400, no noise reduction done, just crop and resize:

The next two were taken at ISO200 at 300mm zoom, again no noise reduction, just crop and resize and a bit of sharpenning:

regards

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:16 PM   #4

Robbo and Algold - thank you both for your prompt responses.

I will take some shots and post them on this thread - I have to say, Algold,I was amazed at the quality of your images, especially the one at 1600 ISO.

The settings I used were as stated, however I will take a few different ISO settings and see how they come out.

I, too, had heard the S9500 was a good little camera and I bought the S9600 based on S9500 reviews and the fact that the changes on the S9600 were regarded as great improvements.

Possibly it is just a "duff" camera - I just find it so hard to believe that the S9500 was so highly regarded if the quality is the same as I am experiencing in my S9600.

So, thanks once again - I'll try and get some images uploaded in the next couple of days.

Sue
Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:11 AM   #5

Hi, Sue -

We have this camera, too, and are still learning to get optimal shots from it. Have you had a chance to take test images to post yet? I'm following several of these related threads and would like to hear your update when you get a chance.

Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:07 AM   #6

well ive had my S9600 a little over 8 weeks, when i first got it i was getting hardly any noise,at iso 200 but now i am getting so much noise, i cant understand why?, even at iso 80
which is so frustrating, because i dont no why its occuring now and not when i first got it,
which is why ive desided, im going to get shot of it and get myself a D80
but if anybod does no why then plz post..
regards
doc

Doc-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:53 AM   #7

Why don't you post a few examples doc? Leave EXIF attached...maybe we can figure out what's wrong.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:21 AM   #8

Have you, by chance, taken a photo in very bright light? I've noticed on other digicams in that past that noise can increase following exposure in very bright light like directly into sun, lamplight or fireworks. When this happened to my Minolta, I reset everything to factory settings and it fixed the problem. I don't know if it will work on this Fuji or not.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:28 AM   #9

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Why don't you post a few examples doc? Leave EXIF attached...maybe we can figure out what's wrong.

the Hun
I would but ive allready Boxed it all up and put it on Ebay,Today
But im still interested to no why this is happerning, Maby the original poster could put some pic up
Regards
Doc
Doc-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:46 PM   #10

Well, I was just so disappointed with my S9600 that I didn't post any images and just contacted the shop from where I bought it to complain. To their credit (Park Cameras, in Haywards Heath, West Sussex, England) they suggested I return the camera straight away. I did that and instead opted for a Canon Powershot S3 IS, which has fewer megapixels but produces far better results. I am delighted with it - and whether or not my S 9600 was a lemon I will never know but I wouldn't touch another one with a barge pole.

Sue