Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:46 PM   #1

Default Confusion on telephoto len's???

What is the difference between a telephoto lens with 1.5 magnification and a 55mm filter and ring flash?? :? I want to add magnification to my camera. I went to fujifilm.com to see what they had. I pull up this telephoto lens with 1.5 magnification that can also be used to attach a 55mm filter and ring flash.... I thought that was the same thing? Don't you just buy a "gismo" screw it on to your existing camera lens and walah! instant telephoto capability? And the adapter ring...what the h-ll is that for??? :shock: Davebaird, you said you were getting one...today I think...which one are you getting, or rather what are you getting?

This whole photography thing is getting out of control! :P
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2003, 7:08 AM   #2

hey

i bought a telephoto lens

i'm really busy with exams at the moment so i should have some stuff up after next wednesday

but, the telephoto lens comes with an adapter ring

this is needed for filters,wide angle / telephoto lens,ring flashes etc

the telephoto attachment does not have a thread so you cant attach filters etc

i'll put up like a kinda guide next week, sorry for the delay
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 8:08 AM   #3

i hope i don't confuse you further, but i'll give it a go.

the threads on your 602 are at the base of the lens. thus to attach any addon lenses, you need the 'gizmo'. that gizmo is called a step-up ring. i believe that that is the same as the adapter ring you referred to towards the end of your query.

so you have:
(C) = Camera
(S) = Step-up Ring
(T) = telephoto lens

that will fit like so (C) <- (S) <- (T).

with regards to the 55mm filter and attachable flash ring, that means that the Fuji 1.5x lens probably has 55m threads on its outside end, to which you can attach 55mm filters. And also to the lens you can attach a flash ring to it (i'm not sure but i think those are flash units that form a ring around your lens, and aid in macro shots (closeups). this would basically make the above diagram
(C) <- (S) <- (T) <- (55mm filter) <- (and/or? flash ring)

hope this helps, and hope i'm not misleading you by anything i may have been mistaken by. =P~

Somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 9:57 PM   #4

Thanks davebaird and somy. All your information helps a lot. I wish there was a photography class close by I could take, but the closest one is 45min. away which is not condusive to three children. Thanks for all your patience and explanations. I have another questions forming about filters, I just need to grab my camera and process all the information and see what your talking about. I'm sure you'll hear from me soon.

Thanks again,

Angela
Old Jun 20, 2003, 10:17 AM   #5

not sure what exactly you expect from a photography class, but if it's basic information, you can check out www.shortcourses.com, which has some good starter information on digital photography.

Somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 12:25 AM   #6

Futbolmom:
A 1.5x zoom lens, means that is multiplying the basic lens capability of the camera, for example your S602 camera came with a 6x optical and 4.4x digital zoom, for a total of 26.4 total zoom. By getting the 1.5x zoom you increase your optical capability to 9x (6x times 1.5x) and of course your total zoom will increase to 39.6 (9x times 4.4x). Hopefully this will clarify your question.

Willy
willhiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 10:11 PM   #7

Dave,

Have you had the chance to use your new telephoto lens yet? I'm curious to see how it is working for you....

Angela
aka futbolmom
Old Jul 6, 2003, 7:25 AM   #8

If you buy the tele lens, you might need to think about a tripod as well, to keep those 6Mpix sharp!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:23 AM   #9

Why is that Vox? Is it because it's 6 Mpix? Just curious.

Ang
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:41 AM   #10

Sorry, If I thought you might not know. As soon as you start to get big images from far away, any slight hand movements on the camera will make a lot more difference. On a 6Mpix cam you have the advantage of being able to crop your pics and make big prints if you wish. Any image 'shake' will be like loss of resolution if the shutter is not fast enough or the camera is moved with too slow a shutter.

If you have really good light and a fast shutter speed set, you can be OK. On a 602, in normal wide angle you'll get the handshake warning at 1/80th shutter, open out the internal zoom to max and you'll get warned at 1/160th. Add the tele and the camera won't know so you can't rely on the warning, but it could need 1/250th minimum - all zoom maxed out. On the 602 you can switch to 400ASA and you may need this for hand held tele shots to set the higher shutter speeds. Go for Shutter priority.

So the tripod will allow you to shoot at slower shutter speeds to get correct exposure if the light is lower, and still use 200ASA which will give less noise in the pictures. But I know you are into action footie so action in the pic still needs a high shutter speed. Look at the pro's on the goal lines at matches, most are using big zooms, but then the tripod might just be there to give their arms a rest! A tripod with a smooth pan head may give you more control over the 'background blur' foreground action type shots as well.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote