Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:03 PM   #21

Thanks for the referance to buydig.com..I found the deal on an s9000 that I actually prefered to have over the s7000 that I just mailed back to abes of maine..I so hope they just refund my money and not try to get over on me any further..I already feel ripped off having to miss a weekend taking pictures in Vail !!
pantera13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:03 PM   #22

pantera-

I am delighted to hear that you found exactly the camera that you wanted. Post some photos when you get a chance.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:48 PM   #23

I am sure to! Thanks for guiding me to a trusted and reputable online merch!

Jill in Colorado
pantera13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:42 PM   #24

Hi,

I agree, the low light shots are really nice.
I was amazed at how much can be picked up.

This photo was taken just after sun down.

Rich
Attached Images

bud2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:43 PM   #25

Here is the same alley using a compact camera.
Both shots were taken without a flash.

Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:09 PM   #26

Bud-

Thanks for posting. That is an excellent example of what a high ISO capable camera like the Fuji S-6000/S-6500 really can do. Thanks for posting.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:15 AM   #27

Sure. I've been enjoying my new camera.
I feel it was a wise choice. This morning I was able to get my first moon shot ever.

I experimenting a lot with the manual settings.
Still practicing when there is Sun, Bright Blue Skies, White Clouds and scenery. I tried a few auto settings, but I think I had spot metering enabled. I will try the average or multi the next time the sun comes out. We just got lots of snow, so I have been busy with winter shots!

If you are interested in seeing a lot of pics with the 6000 check out:
http://fotki.com/banjon

These are the albums that show what it can do.
Stills, Succulent (macro), Crows (action),
Winter first snowfall (night), sunrise (manual chrome), sunset (some chrome)
Sunset Nov 28, Peggys Cove Nov 25 (digital zoom), Halifax Churches (focus)
Chrome sunset (all in chrome)

I did find chrome hard to reverse. I think reducing by 75% seems to work.
I shot a whole sunset on chrome, forgot it was enabled. Shots came out nice.

Almost all pictures required no post work other than cropping. I was amazed at the night shots at dusk, I was never able to get these with my compact camera, they are a breeze with this camera. I picked up a travel tripod to help with the exposures. I had some others with water effects of rapids at an old mill. It was literally dark when I took them.

Regards
Rich
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:36 AM   #28

Here is the old mill shot at almost total darkness, only a street light about 500 feet away.

Only cropped.
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2006, 6:26 AM   #29

Rich-

I especially like the mill shot in virtual darkness. It has real mood to it. Also enjoyed perusing your albums, Halifax is one of my favorite cities.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:10 PM   #30

Thanks. When I had the compact camera, I didn't understand why the pics I took always had some type of color wash or not enough contrast. I was always doing post work, mostly just adding a layer of soft light corrected the scene almost 90% of the time, I usually either had to bump up the saturation (20%) and contrast (10% sometimes). Once in a while, had to adjust the mid-tones, usually only a small amount.

I asked many others how they got such great pics without no post work.
Then I got the Fuji... Wow.. Pictures are saturated correctly, contrast is right on, and even more color in Chrome mode. I'm glad there is no sepia mode, thats a waste, it takes only a few seconds to make sepia pics. I like the chrome mode for landscapes, the colors are very vivid. I often try to take some with chrome and some with normal. I often lean towards the chrome pictures on landscapes, normal on sunsets (no need to deepen the colors).

We moved to Halifax about three years ago. We love to take day trips on the weekends. We love reaching the little coves, and there are so many. Each with its own distinct look and feel. This past weekend, I wish I had a lot longer zoom - I tried capturing these 40 foot waves out in the ocean. I love watching storms come in. That storm hit land about an hour later.

Has anyone experimented with additional lens or filters?

I found a site that most lens now have 58mm adapter rings that allow for other lens to be added. I saw the 22mm addon, but I think I would like to go for more zoom. Do the extra lens work okay?

I'm looking at a graduated filter next, but am not sure what I should start with. There are circular filters that rotate, but I think it really limits how much filter can be applied. I think the square filters offer more flexibility. Would it be good to pick up a ND2/4/8 solid filter as well?

Thanks,
Rich