Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:29 AM   #1

I'm wondering if anybody has any direct experience with the older (s9000/s9500) and newer versions of this camera (s9100/s9600).

I have softness concerns with my S9000 and I wonder if those weren't solved on the S9100. Pics seem to be too soft from this camera when I would expect to be able to get tack-sharp images from this lens.

Does anybody know what improvements specifically were made? The reviewon another sitesays "Update to the S9000 adds a larger LCD, better image processor, and faster focusing system" but I can't find that anywhere else, and I would like to know specifically if they addressed the softness issue that many people have noticed with the 9k.

Does anybody with a 9100/9600 have any concerns with softness/sharpness from their camera?

Thanks in advance for your help !!

Chris

P.S. yes I've used a solid platform, med to good lighting, made sure I'm focusing in the right spot and tried Normal, Fine, and Raw.
twoftagl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:16 AM   #2

I have the S9000. I don't have any problems with sharpness with my images. They are usable straight from the camera. However, I find that they often benefit from using the Smart Sharpen filter in Photoshop. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it often helps my images if they are "important" images. The 9000/9500 has been criticized quite a bit because people don't like the softness of the images. Part of the problem is that most monitors don't have the resolving power to properly display 9 MP. Printed images in larger sizes (8x10 or larger) are required to see the benefit these models have to offer.

Having said that, I understand from reading comments from others that the 9100/9600 has a different processor that applies more sharpening in the camera, something that is appreciated by less experienced photographers. That will be a benefit when shooting JPEG images, but will not have any effect on RAW images. Personally, I am very satisfied with the quality I'm getting from my camera. But I cannot recommend the camera to you because it sounds to me like you are expecting effortless perfection from the camera, and these models are for people who want control over their photography which requires (in many instances) planning and forethought.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:05 PM   #3

"...the 9100/9600 has a different processor that applies more sharpening in the camera, something that is appreciated by less experienced photographers. That will be a benefit when shooting JPEG images, but will not have any effect on RAW images."

Thanks for your input, that makes perfect sense about the processor. As raw doesn't get processed, I would expect to see roughly the same out of both camerasshooting raw........which is what I am using more of now.

"...Personally, I am very satisfied with the quality I'm getting from my camera. But I cannot recommend the camera to you because it sounds to me like you are expecting effortless perfection from the camera..."

Not at all. Not even the least bit.I am glad that it it works for you, though.

"....and these models are for people who want control over their photography which requires (in many instances) planning and forethought..."

You're exactly right, Ido want control over my photography. Which is why I'm dissapointed when I need that sharpness to make a certain shotwork............but can't have enough of it to make it work.

I'll hold out making the final judgement until I have access tobetter printing next month, but until then I'll go looking for those softer pictures instead of the ones requiring tack-sharp. I'll do some more messing around with the sharpen tool in PS but it's been my experience that when you want sharp you have to get itat the camera.

..............and that's why I'm saving my money :-)

"Sorry Honey, but I GOTTA Have it !!!"

thanks for your input!

Chris

twoftagl is offline   Reply With Quote